Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/151
Project Category : eGov::Best Urban ICT Initiative of the year
Project Name : ASHA KIRANA MAHITI
Details of Applicant :
Name : M.S. RAVISHANKAR, I.A.S .
Address : Directorate of Municipal Administration, 9th floor, V.V Tower (main), Dr.Ambedkar Veedhi,
City : BANGALORE
State : KARNATAKA
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 560001
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : MUNICIPAL REFORMS CELL,
Address : MUNICIPAL REFORMS CELL,NO.1-4, 6TH FLOOR, IT PARK, ,RAJAJINAGAR INDUSTRIAL ESTATE,
City : BANGALORE
State : KARNATAKA
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 560010
Name of the head of Organisation : Dr. N. SHIVASHANKARA, K.A.S.
Website : www.mrc.gov.in
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative : Directorate of Municipal Administration (DMA), Department of Urban Development, Government of Karnataka have come up with the slum mapping and socio economic survey in cities and towns. Asha Kirana Mahiti is the mapping of all the slums notified and non notified in urban area of the state along with GIS maps, household & livelihood data. Municipal Reforms Cell has developed the application for capturing the slum details which consists of the following schedules. Part A â€“ General information of city town (ULB) Part B â€“ Slum profile along with sketch map Part C â€“ Particulars of survey operations Annexure I â€“ Detailed slum survey Annexure II â€“ Detailed household survey Annexure III â€“ Detailed livelihood survey This is a web-based data application using technologies such as RHEL 5.0 as Operating System, Oracle 10g as database, Java Technologies for the front-end development, Tomcat 6 as Web Server. The application can be accessed universally with basic internet connectivity. The ULBs conduct the survey and input the information into the e-tool. The concerned authorities at State-level and Government of India-level can review all reports for periodic monitoring and progress of the surveys. The User Manual is available to describe the application usage. The data captured, can be collated and analyzed for generating the desired state-level reports (provisions to prepare reports is inbuilt). Reports and Monitoring: Various types of reports are generated and are available on the system to show data of the slums viz. City/Town Details, State Summary Report of slums, Individual Slum Details, Annexure I, II, III & IV Summary Report showing slum household details, BPL Household Details, Ward Details etc. The entire application covers various data activities, and there are many fields which give complete information about each and every slum in Karnataka
Why was the project started :
Survey and storing State data of Slum dwellers to bring in all existing slums, notified & non-notified within the formal system and enabling them to avail of the same level of basic amenities as the rest of the town and redressing the failures of the formal system that lie behind the creation of slums.
Objective : Urban Statistics for HR and Assessment is the objective of the project Asha Kirana Mahiti. Thus the robust database of all the slums across the states is created and available at a centralized server. General Information of a particular ULB, slum profile of an ULB, giving details of notified and non-notified slums in an ULB containing the household, livelihood and additional information of an household in a slum alongwith the particulars of survey operation.
Target group : Administrators for Urban Local Bodies, Local Populace and Stake Holders of ULBs.
Geographical reach : Socio-economic surveys were conducted by the State Governments and in all the 214 Urban Local Bodies to formulate a plan to improve the condition of slums and slum dwellers. The statistical data thus collected from surveys is being maintained in central server at Municipal Reforms Cell on a uniform platform.
Date from which the project became operational : 1 January 2009
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- The data of all the Slums in every ULB in Karnataka is available at a click of a button.
- This application / data is first and leading of its kind in India where a state-wide model was implemented.
- Directorate of Municipal Administration initiatives have been driven at the local level/Slum level. In the case of the Karnataka, the vision was to create a standardized set of data and processes across the state which would not only provide the benefit of knowledge sharing across the individual bodies but also create a common platform on which comparative evaluation could be undertaken.
- 214 ULBs have been taken up for implementation of Asha Kirana Mahiti. This covers all the urban areas (ULBs) of Karnataka. Thus the applications are now hosted centrally at an independent entity which provides the information to the different bodies.
- Complete track of any changes made in the application and data is available.
- Centralised database accessed by ULBs through web connectivity. This gives required information to the State Level Agency (DMA) to evolve State Level Plans & analysis.
- Creation of a centralized system which was common in terms of process and data model across the state.
- Sound Database of all the sectors and services are available with the ULB.
- The centralized approach enabled the technology team to leverage the internet to develop an application that was accessed by the individual municipal bodies over the internet.
- Updating of captured data on day to day basis as in change request arrives from ULBs to keep revised data handy.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- eWorld Award 2011: Project Asha Kirana Mahithi was voted as best project in the eWorld Jury Choice Awards for Eradicating Extreme Poverty and Hunger category
- Data freeze of 9 city corporations after â€˜Data validation and verificationâ€™.
- Integration process of each household MIS with GIS in the slums initiated, which helps in maintaining authenticated data.
- 100% coverage/approach of each household of all the slums in Karnataka State.
- Proficient application designed to store massive data of all the slums in systematic manner.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative :
- At few places of Karnataka objections and obstacles were faced at the time of survey from the slum dwellers, convinced them through meetings and trained enumerators to overcome the challenge
- Data Validation involves huge manpower â€“ Recruitments of concerned manpower
- A few negligible glitches faced â€“ Sorted out locally
- Non-cooperation in the field â€“ Awareness created among the slum dwellers
- Data accumulation â€“ Data entry done through outsourcing
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Karnataka is the 1st state in India, who initiated and completed slum detailed surveys (household, slum, livelihood) across India. By our experience we have learnt that others can adopt our methodology to constrain inhuman situations in the slums.
- Project based on Java, a widely spread open source, can be very easily replicated over any platform.
- An easy, effortless and user friendly feel that gives comfort access to the application.
- The application has been stable since the time of its inception.
- The various reports generated are already made use by many departments.
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative :
- The solution architecture for the products are designed in such a way that it is very easy to scale up for multiple cities, thereby addressing it for the entire state.
- Central Architecture is cheaper, due to economies of scale.
- Â The number of servers and other hardware needed to operate 214 municipalities from one location is much lower than implementing a server solution in each city.
- The same applies to network, hardware, software and developing team as well as most importantly to citizens.
- Centralizing also allows standardization of formats and processes that automatically drive economies of scale.
Documents publishing URL :