Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/152
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled Skills Development Initiative of the Year
Project Name : Capacity Building for IT Skill Based Economically Solvent Self Help Group (SHG) in North Eastern Region (Sikkim, Tripura, Manipur & Mizoram).
Details of Applicant
Name : Debabrata Bhadury
Address : Plot â€“ E2/1, Block â€“ GP, Salt lake City, Bidhannagar Kolkata
City : Kolkata
State : West Bengal
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 700091
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), Kolkata
Address : Plot â€“ E2/1, Block â€“ GP, Salt lake City, Bidhannagar,Kolkata,
City : Kolkata
State : West Bengal
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 700091
Name of the head of Organisation : Col. A. K. Nath (Retd.), Executive Director
Website : http://www.cdackolkata.in
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
Technological up-gradation with entrepreneurship attitude for Self Help Group (SHG) members of North Eastern States with an aim to formulate a brand new source of sustainable income generation. The general Mass will be educated on the State-of-the-Art ITâ€“based Tools & Technologies so that they are e-enabled to respond to fast changing global needs and provide services at per the demands. The developed infrastructure will be used to empower the Master Trainers and further will be used as a resource centre. Methodology followed will use computer itself as a Teaching Tool in the classroom with audio-visual presentation mode guided by our experts. These Trained Master Trainers will be empowered with upgraded skills and techniques so that they can internalize versatile usage of IT as an integral part of their day-to-day vocation. They will also impart Training to other SHG members in regular basis under the directive of C-DAC, Kolkata experts to fill the gap of IT literate manpower. Additionally, it is expected that this will also open new forms of sustainable employment generation. The project mainly nucleates the following activities. ? Empowerment of grass-root people with IT Awareness Program and utilizing them in local Citizen Informatics Centre (CIC) as a Service provider. ? To organize programs for Technological Up-gradation of the Self Help Group members with modern concepts of ICT. ? To catalyze the process of IT based Employment Generation for the newer Generation in the rural vicinity. ? To create a pool of IT literate manpower who would be empowered with obligatory skills to take up similar training programs in the respective districts in a chain process. ? To provide Self-Sustainable training program in Vernacular Language on Computer Literacy, Data Entry, Computer Maintenance, Digital Photography, Documentation etc.
Why was the project started :
There is a tremendous requirement of skilled manpower in all the States for handling the ICT oriented activities to fulfill the mission of regular E-Governance services. Now by recalling the initial success of similar work completed at Birbhum, Bankura, Bardhaman and Nadia Districts of West Bengal, C-DAC, Kolkata decided to initiate the IT-Based Economic Activities Training Centre with an aim to nucleate a brand new source of sustainable income generation for the Self-Help Group (SHG) members of North-Eastern States. So that the general Mass of NE States can be educated on the State-of-the-Art ITâ€“based Tools & Technologies to respond to the fast changing Global Demands and Practices. Under this Pilot Project, the infrastructure to train the Master Trainers has been developed at Tripura (Agartala), Mizoram (Aizawl), Manipur (Imphal) and Sikkim (Namchi), directly by the CDAC Experts. Methodology followed will use Computer itself as a Teaching Tool in the classroom. The Trained Trainers organized in the form of Self-Help Group as well as the general mass, to empower them with upgraded skills and techniques to internalize multifaceted usage of IT as an integral part of their day-to-day vocation. This kind of IT-oriented topping up of knowledge & skills is expected to empower them to develop new practices and ideas, which would add value to their everyday-living and to encourage themselves to put their first few steps in the new emerging IT era. Additionally, it is expected that this will also usher in a few brand new forms of sustainable employment generation in the NE, India.
The main objectives of the project are: ? Establishment of IT Based Resource Centre as Training Infrastructure for local Mass Empowerment at four NE States (Sikkim, Tripura, Manipur & Mizoram). ? Development of Self-Teaching Training module on IT Literacy in Local Vernacular Languages, (â€œBanglaâ€ for Tripura, Nepali for â€œSikkimâ€, Manipuri for â€œManipurâ€ and Mizo for â€œMizoramâ€). ? Development of Master Trainers for providing IT related services within the State and creation of a pool of skilled manpower for Sustainable Employment Generation on Functional IT. ? To Organize these Trained Manpower into Self-Help Groups (SHG) to create IT-anchored Sustainable Employment Generation by Document Preparation, Data Entry, Hardware Maintenance and E-Governance & Common Service Centre (CSC) operational Maintenance etc. around their respective local Citizen Informatics Centre (CIC).
Target group :
Local Youth/Self Help Group (SHG) members of the different NE states specially women and young generation who are enthusiastic and economically weak.
Geographical reach :
Entire Eastern and North Eastern region (a live network of all states) beginning form West Bengal state.
Date from which the project became operational : 3 March 2009
Is the Project still operational :
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Deals with grass root people i.e. Self-Help Group (SHG) members.
- Creates entrepreneurial attitude, spirit, achievement and motivation among SHG members.
- Educate common mass with modern ITâ€“based Tools & Technologies.
- Qualification required for the SHG members is least (No Criteria).
- Generates pool of manpower i.e., IT literate resource person for the State.
- Establishment of Capacity Building Training Centre as a resource centre for every State
- Project will directly lead to the Employment Generation for Local Government.
- Supports for the Local Governmentâ€™s IT Need in E-Governance and other related activities.
- Development of Courseware (Self Learning Module) for IT Awareness in Local Vernacular Languages.
- Bridging the existing socio-economic backwardness of underdeveloped people by the light of ICT.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- In Tripura total 200 Nos. of Trainers have been developed. Translation of Self Teaching Training Software in Cacher-Bangla Language already been completed. The Master Trainers have already been engaged in different block level IT enabled services like Data entry by the Local Govt.
- For Sikkim, 272 Nos. of Trainers have been developed.Translation of Self Teaching Training Software in Nepali Language has been completed and released by Honâ€™ble Governor of Sikkim.The developed Candidates are providing IT enabled services within the State with DIT, Govt. of Sikkim.
- For Mizoram total 29 Nos.of trainers have been developed. Translation of Self Teaching Training Software in Mizo Language is ongoing and will be completed within November, 2011.IT Literacy Program for 40 Nos. of SHG members is ongoing.
- In Manipur total 40 Nos. of trainers have been developed.Translation of Self Teaching Training Software in Manipuri Language is ongoing and will be completed within January, 2012.
- i) Translation of Self Teaching Training Software Ekalavya, developed by C-DAC, Kolkata on IT literacy in two local languages i.e. Cacher â€œBanglaâ€ for Tripura, â€œNepaliâ€ for Sikkim in 1st Phase. (ii)Translation of Self Teaching Training Software Ekalavya, developed by C-DAC, Kolkata on IT literacy in two local languages i.e. â€œManipuriâ€ for Manipur, â€œMizoâ€ for Mizoram in 2nd Phase.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- Novice poor people with no background of Computer Knowledge.
- Panic from using computer for the very first time in life.
- Disability to communicate their burning issue primarily.
- Very low self-confidence level as literacy on IT is nil.
- Fear of loosing livelihood if incapable to comprehend IT/Computer and perform accordingly
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- The Capacity Building Project mainly focuses on creating entrepreneurial attitude and sprit, achievement and motivation amongst the people in the rural hinterland.
- The program leads directly to employment generation and indirectly to the IT culture development among the people helping to bridge the existing socio-economic backwardness.
- Already Capacity Building exercise has began in different districts the north eastern States by creating batches of IT trained Master Trainers.
- Trained Manpower will involve them into Self-Help Groups (SHG) to create IT-anchored Sustainable Employment Generation by Document Preparation, Data Entry, Hardware Maintenance and E-Governance & Common Service Centre (CSC) operational Maintenance etc. around their Respective local Citizen Informatics Centre (CIC).
- Several Government-to-Citizen (G2C) e-Governance pilot projects have already attempted to adopt these technologies to improve the reach, enhance the base, minimize the processing costs, increase transparency, and reduce the cycle times.
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/iniative
- With the success of first capacity Building Pilot Project, the infrastructure to train the Master Trainers has been developed at Tripura (Agartala), Mizoram (Aizawl), Manipur (Imphal) and Sikkim (Namchi), directly by the CDAC Experts.
- This kind of IT-oriented topping up of knowledge & skills is expected to empower them to develop new practices and ideas in the field of e-governance.
- The general Mass of NE States is getting educated on the State-of-the Art ITâ€“based Tools & Technologies so that they are e-enabled to respond to fast changing Global Demands and Practices.
- Teaching/training on IT Skills in Vernacular Language (following a PC-based Interactive self-training/learning/practicing methodology) is going on in North East Region.
- Neighboring states are seeking similar ventures for the enchantment of skills to restore and prevent of culture and of livelihood, gain employment in the thrush of economic drain.
Documents publishing URL :