Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/226
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best Technology Solutions for Education Institutes
Project Name : DigiClass Pro
Details of Applicant
Name : Preethi Frederick
Address : 10, 3rd Main, Ashwini Layout, Intermediate Ring Road, Ejipura, Koramangala
City : Bangalore
State : Karnataka
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 560 047
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Pearson Education Services Pvt Ltd
Address : 10, 3rd Main, Ashwini Layout, Intermediate Ring Road, Ejipura, Koramangala,,
City : Bangalore
State : Karnataka
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 560 047
Name of the head of Organisation : Meena Ganesh
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
DigiClass Pro is a multimedia based ICT solution specifically for higher education (Engineering). Based on the Cognitive Learning Approach, DigiClasss multimedia content, DigitALlyâ„¢ includes animation, images, PowerPoint slides and other learning objects. DigitALlyâ„¢ helps teachers manage an open repository of learning objects, which are multimedia-enabled and syllabus-specific. The multimedia content helps in making the classroom learning more engaging â€“ resulting in better understanding and retention of concepts. It also empowers teachers to customize their teaching sessions, keeping the learnersâ€™ pace in mind. This year, we introduced DigitALlyâ„¢ 3.3.0 â€“ an updated version with new easy-to-use features. DigitALlyâ„¢ has various content types like animations, videos, self-explanatory diagrams, concept maps, 3D interactivity, worksheets, quizzes, e-books and past year question papersâ€“ all of which are regularly updated. The application offers two modes of usage: Teach In Class (TIC)
â€¢ It is an easy-to-use and attractive interface through which teachers can access the preloaded content in the classroom.
â€¢ Objects are mapped to the School curriculum, which helps teachers to discover the desired object based on his/her teaching plan.
â€¢ Readymade Teaching slides with context specific links to multimedia objects is the most appreciated feature of TIC
â€¢ In addition to the teaching slides, teachers can take advantage of special feature: Knowledge Library, which covers topics like Edutainment, Infozone, Poems/Rhymes, Atlas, 3D Anatomy, and Entrance Prep.
â€¢ My Links and my institution features enable teachers to show the custom content created/added by him/her or other teachers. Prepare For Class (PFC)
â€¢ In PFC mode, teachers can make changes to the preloaded content, add new objects or edit learning objects created by other teachers/users.
â€¢ Teachers can find the desired objects either by search using keywords or by navigating through the course curriculum. Search results are categorized into object type like Videos, Animations, E-books, 3D objects, Images, Teaching Slides, Lesson Plans and many more, which helps the user to reach to the desired type quickly.
â€¢ Teachers can create Teaching Slides and create in-line links to the learning objects from the Search Results.
â€¢ Teachers can also create a favorite list of objects to show in the Classroom
â€¢ Teachers can create/edit question papers using repository of questions and print the same for the classroom usage
â€¢ PFC enables schools can add new subjects/chapters and UI clearly demarcates and school added courses.
â€¢ TIC and PFC are tightly integrated, all custom content added/edited/created in PFC is accessible in TIC
Why was the project started :
We, at Pearson Education Services felt that there were many challenges faced by engineering students which were not being addressed, like availability of good quality lecturers/professors, standardised pedagogy, teaching and learning aids, quality infrastructure etc. With DigiClass Proâ€™s award winning multimedia content DigitALlyâ„¢, we have standardised the quality of content across all institutions. The various teacher training programmes ensure that professors/lecturers are trained and up-to-date, and the multimedia content ensures that concepts are explained with state-of-the-art technology. Through DigiClass Pro, we also provide training for other skills required for Job readiness like, Soft skills, English Language Skills, Current Industry Skills etc.
To convert traditional classrooms into interactive session by combining state-of-the-art hardware with syllabus-compliant, multimedia content.
Target group : Teachers and students
Geographical reach : Across the globe
Date from which the project became operational : Day Month 2007
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- DigiClass Pro is based on Cognitive Learning and reiterates the relationship between â€œthe knownâ€ and â€œto be learntâ€ by associating new material with something familiar.
- DigiClass Proâ€™s multimedia content DigitALlyâ„¢ – with AV, demonstrations, simulations, rhymes, games, activity sheets, animations, videos, self-explanatory diagrams, concept maps, 3D interactivity.
- DigitALlyâ„¢: Teacher Centric Application for classrooms
- DigitALlyâ„¢ enforces â€œSeparation of Concernâ€ with Create and Teach Mode
- DigitALlyâ„¢ is preloaded with various content types (worksheets, quizzes, e-books, old question papers)
- Readymade Teaching slides with context specific links to learning objects
- Creation and customization of Teaching Slides on Microsoft PowerPoint
- DigitALlyâ„¢ is an open repository: institutions can add new learning objects or courses
- DigitALlyâ„¢ makes all learning objects (preloaded as well as added) automatically searchable in a single user interface
- Empowers the institution with a powerful reporting dashboard to track the effectiveness of DigitALlyâ„¢ in the classroom.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Marico Innovation Award is given to companies that seek to make a difference to the world through outstanding innovations.
- President Award for IT – Our E-Education initiative, in association with Global Telemedicine Healthcare Network Foundation (GTHNF), won this award for the implementation of DigitALlyâ„¢â„¢ in 40 schools across Shillong in unfavourable conditions – bad weather, power failures, and subpar infrastructure conditions.
- Manthan Award for Best e-Content Development honours excellence in Digital Content Development across Southeast Asia. DigitALlyâ„¢ won this award – from among more than 230 nominations – from 8 countries across Southeast Asia.
- World Education Award for Best Multimedia content for K-12 education, 2011
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- Content relevant to respective technical university: Created Master Content taking top 6 Universities across India, using internal resources, mapped content from Master content to respective technical universities
- Bigger Display due to Bigger Classrooms in Colleges: Using Latest technology called Eyeris which goes beyond traditional smart boards to provide bigger area for interactivity with wide angle projectors
- Usage of Solution post installation: Put full time Resource coordinator In Colleges on rolls of Pearson to ensure day to usage of the solution and usage reporting to Management, Handholding to resolve day to day issues from stakeholders
- Implementation & Hardware Upkeep: Creating Regional hubs where we keep additional spares to enable faster replacements/rectification of hardware to ensure quicker upkeep & maintenance
- Curriculum Changes & Updates: Quarterly Releases of updates to our Content Repository to effect changes in Curriculum, Newer Content and Usage of Better Technology tools
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Programme offered on a BOOT Modal (Build Own Operate & Transfer) which reduces the burden of Initial heavy investments for the colleges.
- Turnkey Solution combing, Infrastructure/Hardware, Academic Content mapped to Respective Universities, Comprehensive Training for Stakeholders and Upkeep of the solution
- Regular Content Upgrades at no additional cost for the colleges in the contractual period
- Empowerment to Lecturers/Professors with Standard Flow of Teaching with a huge repository of academic Multimedia Content.
- Greater usage creates Interest for students thereby increasing their recall and retention capacities resulting in better Results
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative
- The architecture used in the college premises is similar to a web based offering. It has the capability to service hundreds of classrooms/clients concurrently.
- The institutions have the option to add as much as of content objects depending on the free disk space. There is no limitation on the number of content objects.
- It is designed to be fault-tolerant. Right from its individual APIs to the environment has the virtue.
- â€œTake a Backupâ€ feature lets the institution create backup snapshots that may potentially act as a replicated environment.
- The content in the school is secured on a virtualized environment. This prevents the environment from eavesdropping and Trojan attacks.