Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/221
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled School of the Year.
Project Name : DigiClass
Details of Applicant
Name : Chayanika Goswami
Address : Basavanpura Main Road, Devasandra, K. R. Puram,
City : Bangalore
State : Karnataka
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 560036
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Pearson Education Services Pvt Ltd
Address : 10, 3rd Main, Ashwini Layout, Intermediate Ring Road, Ejipura, Koramangala,,
City : Bangalore
State : Karnataka
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 560 047
Name of the head of Organisation : Meena GAnesh
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
DigiClass is a multimedia based ICT solution for schools. Based on the Cognitive Learning Approach, DigiClasss multimedia content, DigitALlyâ„¢ includes animation, images, PowerPoint slides and other learning objects. DigitALlyâ„¢ helps teachers manage an open repository of learning objects, which are multimedia-enabled and syllabus-specific. The multimedia content helps in making the classroom learning more engaging â€“ resulting in better understanding and retention of concepts. It also empowers teachers to customize their teaching sessions, keeping the learnersâ€™ pace in mind. This year, we introduced DigitALlyâ„¢ 3.3.0 â€“ an updated version with new easy-to-use features. DigitALlyâ„¢ has various content types like animations, videos, self-explanatory diagrams, concept maps, 3D interactivity, worksheets, quizzes, e-books and past year question papersâ€“ all of which are regularly updated. The application offers two modes of usage: Teach In Class (TIC)
- It is an easy-to-use and attractive interface through which teachers can access the preloaded content in the classroom.
- Objects are mapped to the School curriculum, which helps teachers to discover the desired object based on his/her teaching plan.
- Readymade Teaching slides with context specific links to multimedia objects is the most appreciated feature of TIC.
- In addition to the teaching slides, teachers can take advantage of special feature: Knowledge Library, which covers topics like Edutainment, Infozone, Poems/Rhymes, Atlas, 3D Anatomy, and Entrance Prep.
- My Links and my institution features enable teachers to show the custom content created/added by him/her or other teachers. Prepare For Class (PFC).
- In PFC mode, teachers can make changes to the preloaded content, add new objects or edit learning objects created by other teachers/users.
- Teachers can find the desired objects either by search using keywords or by navigating through the course curriculum. Search results are categorized into object type like Videos, Animations, E-books, 3D objects, Images, Teaching Slides, Lesson Plans and many more, which helps the user to reach to the desired type quickly.
- Teachers can create Teaching Slides and create in-line links to the learning objects from the Search Results.
- Teachers can also create a favorite list of objects to show in the Classroom.
- Teachers can create/edit question papers using repository of questions and print the same for the classroom usage.
- PFC enables schools can add new subjects/chapters and UI clearly demarcates and school added courses.
- TIC and PFC are tightly integrated, all custom content added/edited/created in PFC is accessible in TIC
Why was the project started :
We at Amarajyothi Public School realized that the traditional chalk-and-talk teaching method was creating a non-engaging, non-interactive classroom. We saw the need for a more comprehensive and engaging model of knowledge delivery that result in better understanding and retention of concepts. Hence, we adopted DigiClass whose vibrant and engaging multimedia content ensures an interactive classroom and easy understanding of difficult concepts. Also, we wanted create solution that was teacher led; a tool that empowers teachers to customize their lesson plans and vary their teaching method to suit each studentâ€™s learning requirement and pace. DigitALlyâ„¢ helps teachers do just that. They can edit the preloaded content to suit their requirements and also add new subjects and content. They can also edit content created by other teachers and users.
To use an ICT led technology solution to improve the teaching â€“ learning process.
Target group : Teachers and students
Geographical reach : Across the globe
Date from which the project became operational : 1 June 2009
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- DigiClass is based on Cognitive Learning and reiterates the relationship between â€œthe knownâ€ and â€œto be learntâ€ by associating new material with something familiar.
- DigiClasss multimedia content DigitALlyâ„¢ – with AV, demonstrations, simulations, rhymes, games, activity sheets, animations, videos, self-explanatory diagrams, concept maps, 3D interactivity.
- DigitALlyâ„¢: Teacher Centric Application for classrooms
- DigitALlyâ„¢ enforces â€œSeparation of Concernâ€ with Create and Teach Mode
- DigitALlyâ„¢ is preloaded with various content types (worksheets, quizzes, e-books, old question papers)
- Readymade Teaching slides with context specific links to learning objects
- Creation and customization of Teaching Slides on Microsoft PowerPoint
- DigitALlyâ„¢ is an open repository: institutions can add new learning objects or courses
- DigitALlyâ„¢ makes all learning objects (preloaded as well as added) automatically searchable in a single user interface
- Empowers the institution with a powerful reporting dashboard to track the effectiveness of DigitALlyâ„¢ in the classroom.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Greater level of technology savviness and adoption among teachers
- More engaging and interactive classroom sessions
- Improved results among students across subjects and grades
- Comprehensive training has helped teachers overcome apprehension of using technology and it has been embraced widely as an effective tool
- Makes teaching more effective as it saves valuable hours for the teacher which she can employ in class with her students.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- Teachers were uncertain of the effectiveness of a technology solution for classroom delivery
- Educating teachers on the acceptance and usage of technology was a challenge. To overcome this hurdle, teachers underwent an extensive teacher training and certification programme.
- Encouraging teachers to incorporate DigitALlyâ„¢ into their teaching methodology is difficult. Hence DigitALlyâ„¢ enables them to add/edit content, add their own learning objects and customize lesson plans, resulting in a sense of ownership of content and self motivation.
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Programme offered on a BOOT Modal (Build Own Operate & Transfer) which reduces the burden of Initial heavy investments for the schools.
- Turnkey Solution combining, Infrastructure/Hardware, Academic Content mapped to Respective Universities, Comprehensive Training for Stakeholders and Upkeep of the solution
- Regular Content Upgrades at no additional cost for the schools in the contractual period
- Empowerment to Lecturers/Professors with Standard Flow of Teaching with a huge repository of academic Multimedia Content.
- Greater usage creates Interest for students thereby increasing their recall and retention capacities resulting in better Results
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative
- The architecture used in the school premises is similar to a web based offering. It has the capability to service hundreds of classrooms/clients concurrently.
- The institutions have the option to add as much as of content objects depending on the free disk space. There is no limitation on the number of content objects.
- It is designed to be fault-tolerant. Right from its individual APIs to the environment has the virtue.
- Take a Backupâ€ feature lets the institution create backup snapshots that may potentially act as a replicated environment.
- The content in the school is secured on a virtualized environment. This prevents the environment from eavesdropping and Trojan attacks.