Project Name : DigitALlyâ„¢
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled Content for K12 Education
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Pearson Education Services Pvt Ltd
City : Bangalore
State : Karnataka
Brief description of the programme/projec/Initiative:
DigitALlyâ„¢ is our patented multimedia-enabled teaching tool that helps teachers manage an open repository of learning objects, which are multimedia-enabled and syllabus-specific. The multimedia content helps in making the classroom learning more engaging â€“ resulting in better understanding and retention of concepts. It also empowers teachers to customize their teaching sessions, keeping the learnersâ€™ pace in mind. This year, we introduced DigitALlyâ„¢ 3.3.0 â€“ an updated version with new easy-to-use features. DigitALlyâ„¢ has various content types like animations, videos, self-explanatory diagrams, concept maps, 3D interactivity, worksheets, quizzes, e-books and past year question papersâ€“ all of which are regularly updated. The application offers two modes of usage: Teach In Class (TIC)
- This is an easy-to-use and attractive interface through which teachers can access the preloaded content in the classroom.
- Objects are mapped to the School curriculum, which helps teachers discover the desired object based on his/her teaching plan.
- Readymade Teaching slides with context specific links to multimedia objects is the most appreciated feature of TIC
- In addition to the teaching slides, teachers can take advantage of this special feature: Knowledge Library, which covers topics like Edutainment, Infozone, Poems/Rhymes, Atlas, 3D Anatomy, and Entrance Prep.
- My Links and my institution features enable teachers to show the custom content created/added by him/her or other teachers. Prepare For Class (PFC)
- In PFC mode, teachers can make changes to the preloaded content, add new objects or edit learning objects created by other teachers/users.
- Teachers can find the desired objects either by a quick search , using keywords or by navigating through the course curriculum. Search results are categorized into object types like Videos, Animations, E-books, 3D objects, Images, Teaching Slides, Lesson Plans and many more, which helps the user to reach to the desired type quickly.
- Teachers can create Teaching Slides and create in-line links to the learning objects from the Search Results.
- Teachers can also create a favorite list of objects to show in the Classroom which is easily accessible when needed.
- Teachers can create/edit question papers using repository of questions and print the same for the classroom usage
- PFC enables schools to add new subjects/chapters and UI clearly demarcates the school added courses.
- TIC and PFC are tightly integrated, all custom content added/edited/created in PFC is accessible in TIC
Why was the project started : :
We at Pearson Education Services realised that although the traditional chalk-and-talk teaching method was a fairly accepted method of classroom delivery, it did not encourage collaboration and interactivity in classroom. We saw the need for a more comprehensive and engaging model of knowledge delivery those results in better understanding and retention of concepts. Hence, we created DigitALlyâ„¢ whose vibrant and engaging multimedia content ensures an interactive classroom and easy understanding of difficult concepts. Also, we wanted to create a tool that empowers teachers to customize their lesson plans and vary their teaching method to suit each studentâ€™s learning requirement and pace. DigitALlyâ„¢ helps teachers do just that. They can edit the preloaded content to suit their requirements and also add new subjects and content. They can also edit content created by other teachers and users.
Objective : To use an ICT led technology solution to improve the teaching â€“ learning process
Target group : Teachers and students
Geographical reach : Across the globe
Date from which the project became operational : Day Month 2007
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- DigiClass is based on Cognitive Learning and reiterates the relationship between â€œthe knownâ€ and â€œto be learntâ€ by associating new material with something familiar.
- DigiClasss multimedia content DigitALlyâ„¢ – with AV, demonstrations, simulations, rhymes, games, activity sheets, animations, videos, self-explanatory diagrams, concept maps, 3D interactivity.
- DigitALlyâ„¢ is a Teacher Centric Application for classrooms and the emphasis is on teacher led learning.
- DigitALlyâ„¢ enforces â€œSeparation of Concernâ€ with Create and Teach Mode
- DigitALlyâ„¢ is preloaded with various content types (worksheets, quizzes, e-books, old question papers)
- Readymade Teaching slides with context specific links to learning objects
- Creation and customization of Teaching Slides on Microsoft PowerPoint
- DigitALlyâ„¢ is an open repository: institutions can add new learning objects or courses
- DigitALlyâ„¢ makes all learning objects (preloaded as well as added) automatically searchable in a single user interface
- Empowers the institution with a powerful reporting dashboard to track the effectiveness of DigitALlyâ„¢ in the classroom.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Marico Innovation Award is given to companies that seek to make a difference to the world through outstanding innovations.
- President Award for IT – Our E-Education initiative, in association with Global Telemedicine Healthcare Network Foundation (GTHNF), won this award for the implementation of DigitALlyâ„¢ in 40 schools across Shillong in unfavourable conditions – bad weather, power failures, and subpar infrastructure conditions.
- Manthan Award for Best e-Content Development honours excellence in Digital Content Development across Southeast Asia. DigitALlyâ„¢ won this award – from among more than 230 nominations – from 8 countries across Southeast Asia.
- World Education Award for Best Multimedia content for K-12 education, 2011
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- Content relevant to respective syllabi: Created Master Content for all major syllabi across India, using internal resources
- Usage of Solution post installation: Put full time Resource coordinator in schools on rolls of Pearson to ensure day to day usage of the solution and usage reporting to Management, Handholding to resolve day to day issues from stakeholders
- Implementation & Hardware Upkeep: Creating Regional hubs where we keep additional spares to enable faster replacements/rectification of hardware to ensure quicker upkeep & maintenance
- Curriculum Changes & Updates: Quarterly releases of updates to our content repository to effect changes in curriculum, newer content and usage of better technology tools.
List the 5 points how can the programme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Programme is offered on a BOOT Modal (Build Own Operate & Transfer) which reduces the burden of Initial heavy investments for the colleges
- Turnkey Solution combining, Infrastructure/Hardware, Academic Content mapped to Respective Universities, Comprehensive Training for Stakeholders and Upkeep of the solution
- Regular Content Upgrades at no additional cost for the colleges in the contractual period
- Empowerment to Lecturers/Professors with Standard Flow of Teaching with a huge repository of academic Multimedia Content.
- Greater usage creates Interest for students thereby increasing their recall and retention capacities resulting in better Results
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative
- The architecture used in the school premises is similar to a web based offering. It has the capability to service hundreds of classrooms/clients concurrently
- The institutions have the option to add as much as of content objects depending on the free disk space. There is no limitation on the number of content objects
- It is designed to be fault-tolerant. Right from its individual APIs to the environment has the virtue.
- â€œTake a Backupâ€ feature lets the institution create backup snapshots that may potentially act as a replicated environment
- The content in the school is secured on a virtualized environment. This prevents the environment from eavesdropping and Trojan attacks.