Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/230
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled Content for K12 Education
Project Name : Educomp Smartclass
Details of Applicant
Name : Romil Sood
Address : EDUCOMP TOWERS 514, UDYOG VIHAR, PHASE III Gurgaon
City : Gurgaon
State : Haryana
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 122001
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Educomp Solutions Limited
Address : EDUCOMP TOWERS,514, UDYOG VIHAR, PHASE III,Gurgaon
City : Gurgaon
State : Haryana
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 122001
Name of the headof Organisation : Shantanu Prakash
Website:http://educomp.com/Products/Smartclass.aspxÂ Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â
Brief description of the programe/project/InitiativeÂ :
Smartclass is a revolutionary in-classroom technology leveraged teaching-learning system that is transforming the way teachers teach and students learn, across thousands of schools. It makes use of mapped to curriculum 2D and 3D digital content which she could access right in the classroom and project it on a whiteboard, to elucidate and explain critical concepts, across virtually all subjects, which can be used by teachers to arouse interest, enhance comprehension and understanding of concepts, ideas critical to achieving academic excellence. In a Smart Class enabled school, the classrooms are connected to what is known as the Knowledge Centreâ€¦where all the digital content is housed in a server. Teachers can access the lessons they want to, during their teaching periods. And use it to demonstrate, show, explain, take learners through an audio-visual journey and above all help them learn better. Smart Class is an end to end, unique, turn-key solution, with 4 interlocked components of Academics, Technology, Processes and finance. 1) Academics – Class transformation System (CTS) consists of vibrant Digital Interactive content by which concepts, theories come alive everyday through rich 3D graphics audio-visual content. CTS fulfills all classroom needs of a teacher and is designed to be instructor lead, thereby acting as a teaching tool. 2)Technology – Digital Teaching System(DTS), a proprietary hardware, that is worldâ€™s fully integrated teaching system with one switch teaching system with built in computing , interactivity, power back up, stereo speakers and a Document camera, designed for keeping the needs of the Indian classroom in mind. 3) Processes â€“Vriti: The transition from chalk and board to this digital learning environment is a change and teachers need to be trained to manage. Teachers are not just trained to handle the hardware but also how to structure lesson plans around the digital content, now available to them at the click of a button. A complex set of processes named Vriti ensures optimal use of Smart Class for the benefit of the learner. 4) Finance -To ensure mass level adoption of the smartclass, Educomp provides this turnkey solution on very affordable monthly installment to school. These installments in turn translate to a comfortable expense of about 100 INR per month for every parent. It has been embraced by more than 8000 schools and is at work in more than 15000 classrooms every day.
Why was the project started :
The perennial tug of war between the teacherâ€™s challenge to explain and studentsâ€™ struggle to understand gave way to an inspired participation in the journey of discovering new concepts. It was a paradigm shift that did what no one had thought of before: bring technology into the classroom. And it changed forever the way teachers taught and students learnt. This is what smartclass did. It allowed the teacher to complement her traditional teaching with an exhaustive repository of mapped to curriculum 2D and 3D digital modules which she could access right in the classroom and project it on a whiteboard, to elucidate and explain critical concepts, across virtually all subjects. The result was nothing short of amazing. Classrooms came alive, as young expanding minds saw for the first time how things happened. The complex became simple and the simple fascinating. This program is designed to assist teachers in schools to meet daily classroom challenges and enhance studentsâ€™ academic performance and teachersâ€™ productivity in classroom with simple, practical & meaningful use of technology.
Smartclass is a digital initiative of Educomp, which is rapidly transforming the way teachers teach and students learn in schools with innovative and meaningful use of technology. Powered by the worldâ€™s largest repository of digital content mapped to Indian School Curriculum, smartclass brings in technology right next to the blackboard for teachers in the classrooms. Students learn difficult and abstract curriculum concepts watching highly engaging visuals and animations. This makes learning an enjoyable experience for students while improving their overall academic performance in school. Smartclass also enables teachers to instantly assess and evaluate the learning achieved by their students in class with an innovative assessment technology- smart assessment system – designed by Educomp.
Target group : Smartclass benefits all key stakeholders in the education domain be it schools, teachers, students or parents. Over half a million teachers and 8 million students across the country benefit from smartclass in terms of better understanding and appreciation of the concepts they learn. We feel proud to be contributors of a generation of smart students who would have studied through this revolutionary method. Our mission is to reach out to 20 million learners through our products, services and solutions, as well as to be amongst the top 5 education companies worldwide, by the year 2012.
Geographical reach : Educomp has partnered with Central and State Governments to Bridge the Digital Divide. We have joined hands with fourteen (14) State Governments covering over 14500 government schools and benefiting 7.9 million students. The current market size is 75,000 public schools across India and this number is growing at about 5000 every year. So far we have penetrated about 8000 schools across 600 districts. As the model catches on and becomes more main stream eventually about 900,000 government schools are likely to adopt this solution.
Date from which theÂ project became operational : 3 July 2003
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Class transformation System has Digital Interactive content by which concepts; theories come alive through rich 2D-3D graphic audio-visuals.
- Formative Assessment enables teachers to adjust teaching and learning according to the understanding of the learner.
- Diagram Maker is a step-by-step illustration of complex diagrams.
- Mind Maps are organized graphic presentation of chapters covering important aspects.
- Smartclass offers students “virtual laboratories.” Virtual experiments enable teachers to construct and simulate concepts on computers.
- Teachers get access to ready presentations, real life applications and worksheets containing various types of questions.
- Teaching ideas are some suggested ideas on how teachers could transact some part of the chapter.
- Topic Synopsis, a short summary of chapters helping the teachers to summarize.
- Teachers can operate and manipulate instruction materials with handy remote control when away from board.
- Its special design works in high ambient temperature and dusty conditions.
- List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Smartclass is powered by a vast repository of digital instruction material, with thousands of highly animated, lesson specific, 3D and 2D multimedia modules. Students learn and enjoy difficult and abstract curriculum concepts. It improves their overall academic performance.
- Teachers instantly assess and evaluate learning achieved by their students with innovative assessment technology- smart assessment system.
- It is affordable across all socio- economic backgrounds. We have penetrated about 8000 schools. Till date 90% schools that adopted technology in classrooms have gone for smartclass.
- Smartclass is Indiaâ€™s largest technology, in terms of revenue, market share and penetration, with FY11 revenue at 9989 Million INR and a PBIT of 5212 Million INR. The rate of growth in terms of number of schools is more than 100 % in the last 4 years.
- The efficacy and impact on studentsâ€™ learning through smartclass has also been endorsed by an independent research agency Dun and Bradstreet.
Â List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programe/project/initiative
- For creating awareness of the system, we ran successful TV and outdoor campaigns for 2 consecutive years, which accelerated conversions.
- With constant evolution in technology we endeavour to cut down our cost of operations by at least 50% every year per school, passing on the cost advantage to schools
- Teachers needed to be trained to manage hardware, structured lesson plans around the digital content. A complex set of processes named Vriti ensures optimal use of smartclass.
- The smartclass DTS is specially designed to work in high ambient temperature and dusty conditions of Indian classrooms. Generators were provided to overcome the problem of unavailability of electricity and frequent breakdowns..
- Due to unavailability of high speed net connectivity, schools could not be connected to Educomp directly. DVDs were sent and all digital content was housed in a server in the knowledge centre in a Smartclass enabled school, to which classrooms are connected.
Â List the 5 points how can the prgrame serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- The programme can be replicated for schools that find smartclass, a little unaffordable. It can be achieved if the hardware can be procured at a cheaper price. This will provide a solution for adoption by these schools, on very affordable monthly installments; these installments will translate to a comfortable expense of about 10 INR per month for every parent, which at the moment is about 100 INR per month for every parent.
- List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/iniative
- Smartclass is well poised to expand its presence geographically across India. With na existing presence in every district of the country and doubling of direct sales force, from 300 to 700 BDMs (a 3 digit percentile growth every year is within our reach.). There is also a global sales force in place and its adoption by schools in countries is in various stages of implementation.
- Though smartclass CTS is primarily a in the classroom teaching-learning solution, it is already being modified and adapted for other purposes like Library Management and School Administration Systems.
- The inception of smartclass by K12 schools has widely established use technology as a bench mark for imparting education whether in K12 or higher studies.
- Means of execution, managing and scaling is technology.
- Smartclass has acted as a platform for other businesses /products of Educomp as educomponline.com for Educomplive to be accepted by schools.
Document Publishing URL: