Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/265
Project Category : eGov::Best Government to Citizens Initiative of the Year
Project Name : eGov Strategies and ICT enabled Initiatives at CMO (Chief Ministers Office)
Details of Applicant :
Name : Hiren Joshi
Address : Chief Ministers Office 2nd floor Block-1 New Sachivalya,
City : Gandhinagar
State : Gujarat
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 382010
Details of Project/Implementing Agency :
Name of Organisation : CMO (IT)
Address : Chief Ministers Office ,2nd floor Block-1 ,New Sachivalya,
City : Gandhinagar
State : Gujarat
Country : INDIA
Zip Code :
Name of the head of Organisation : Mr. Hiren Joshi, OSD(IT) to CM, CMO
Website : http://www.narendramodi.in
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
e-Governance is visualized as Governance by a â€˜SMARTâ€™ Government at CMO which is Systematic, Methodical, Accountable, Responsive and Transparent government. CMO implemented Major Initiatives for strategic performance with its enhanced IT Policy 2006-2011. CMO encourages E-Readiness Initiatives in all departments with IT Action Plan with a one year focus and a five year perspective. CM motivates and encourages other ministerial and Department Offices for E-readiness and implements work place task force to perform as per his vision and mission. The first and only United Nations Public Service award has been given to SWAGAT Project on 23rd June 2010. 8496 Offices can access the system, 23,017 Officers are Registered Users and Video Conferencing Centres at 26 Departments, 26 Districts, 239 Sub Districts. The Project of State Portal is an award winning â€˜User friendly Portalâ€™ and the CM Portal and Social Media Presence is awarded for Best Innovative use of Social Media and eGovernance. CMO focus on â€˜Digital gapâ€™ and bridge the Government â€“ Citizen Transparency and Awareness through its various Online services like Web Portals, Service Portals and other Social network tools.
Why was the project started :
For promotion of eGovernance in the State and providing Transparent, affordable, accessible, accountable and effective services to citizens
Using various ICT interventions, CMO is committed to accelerated growth and cohesive social development through: â€¢ Providing SMART governance to the People of Gujarat â€¢ Empowering citizen and provide equal opportunity through articulate information dissemination â€¢ Making Government accessible to Citizen anytime anywhere and serve the citizen more efficiently and effectively â€¢ E-readiness Initiatives with In-house implementation at Work place – Task force, to perform as per vision and mission of CM. Thereby, geared for egovernance from grass root levels CMO applies eGov Strategies for Government to Citizen Initiatives and ensures Overall economic, cultural, social progress of the state. Transparency and Citizen (People) Participation in Governance and connect to technically versed generation, predominantly the massive youth populace in order to circulate news and information on Government activities and schemes.
Target group : Citizens, youth and technically versed generation, people who are interested in State and state development.
Geographical reach : Major in Gujarat and India with reach worldwide through its State Portal, CMâ€™s Website and various other websites and service portals â€“ (180 countries worldwide)
Date from which the project became operational : 24 April 2003
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Providing Smart Governance to the People of Gujarat â€“ With the ICT enabled tools, CMO functions for Smart Governance with P2G2 â€“ Pro people, Pro active – Good Governance under the leadership of Honâ€™ble CM.
- An Award winning Program â€˜SWAGATâ€™ Application : State Wide Attention on Public Grievances by Application of Technology (SWAGAT) â€“ At Jansampark Department of Chief Minister Office, the grievance of the common man are addressed through Video conferencing and solutions are provided online to the common man immediately. Of the Applications received, justice is done by the mutual united initiative of all Department heads.
- Comprehensive Web Presence: www.narendramodi.in Facilitating effective communication through Web 2.0 technology Web Presence with Transparency Interactive Presence Networked Presence and e Participation Updating citizens about upcoming events and past events through news, newsletters and mailers. Presented in 5 languages, brings citizen closer to CM through web presence and podium for citizen to share ideas with CM. Promoting noble causes eg. Girl child and presents videos, audios, photos and ebooks.
- Initiative Share and Grow and Interact Tool with CM – Act as Government to Citizen Initiative with Transparency and people participation. They can speak their heart directly to him without distortion and manipulation. Giving a sense of belonging to people of Gujarat and all those who believe in him and Gujarat, the CM Portal is enhanced with effective communication tools for a journey in progress of State. Volunteering, writing to CM, Share and Participate apart from other features. In contrast to earlier system, the current system is paperless and effective. People need to log-in to narendramodi.in, write their message to Honâ€™ble CM in 1000 characters maximum. A summary of the selected messages is being sent to Honâ€™ble CM. Daily, almost 500 to 700 messages are passed. A work flow system monitors all emails till there closing.
- Ideas to execution by Share and Grow Feature – Citizens share their ideas for better governance and other suggestions, feedback. These ideas are brainstormed, sent to CM, Feasibility checked and monitored for Implementation. People Participation in progress and development with effective egovernance is administered and executed.
- Social networking Tools: Facebook and Twitter are two major Social networking tools used by CMO â€“ for narendramodi.in and gujaratindia.com (state portal). Apart from other tools like Scribd, Youtube, google sms, podcasts, etc. These Social network helped in interaction between Government and citizen where comments, interaction and participation of citizen in Gujarat Development is major on thrust to future progress with eparticipation and good egovernance. The massive youth and tech savvy generation interact through this media in order to circulate news and information on Government activities and schemes.
- Integrated Blog of CM who blogs at intervals on CM Portal with Blog leading to interactive domain with comments by citizens. CM personally blogs his views and thoughts on this blog. www.narendramodi.com
- Web presence of State Portal : www.gujaratindia.com One of the ICT pilot projects fall under Integrated Citizen Services. In view of this and as per the directive to have a Government Service Portal of NIC, Gujarat has its main Service portal as http://portal.gujarat.gov.in/ under Science & Technology Department – www.gujaratindia.com is the Gujarat State Official Portal managed under CMO Department act as â€˜Information and Service toolsâ€™ with transparency and gives vision to efficient egovernance of the State. Gujarat State Portal – Gujaratindia.com provides a unified interface to all Government websites and acts as a logical front-end to the Governmentâ€™s vision and foresight Gujaratindia.com provides transparency and indepth information with news, media gallery, interactive tools, policy information, details of important functionaries, explore Gujarat tools, government project and initiatives and indepth information on Gujarat and its rich culture and traditions.
- Department Dashboard online : The State Portal under CMO Gujaratindia.com is the only State Portal to present a â€˜Dashboardâ€™ for the Government Departments and provide in-house management with Alerts, Data updation and other features that promptly call for action by Department Administrators. This aims for â€˜Smart Governanceâ€™ with accelerated growth and cohesive social development, making Government and its Departments interactive and prompts in action internally as well as accessible to citizens and people globally.
- eParticipation â€“ Through egreetings, polls, feedback suggestions on State Portal as well as on CM Portal.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- SWAGAT – The first and only United Nations Public Service award has been given to SWAGAT Project on 23rd June 2010
- gujaratindia.com â€“ Award for Most User Friendly State Portal and indepth information & G2C services
- narendramodi.in â€“ Best eGov â€“ Social Media Presence and reach to citizens
- Govt to citizen â€“ interactive social network facebook â€“ Lacs of users and interactive network
- Govt to citizen â€“ interactive social network twitter, you tube, slideshare â€“ thousands of followers
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative :
- SEO Strategies
- Resources & reach
- Admin and team work
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- SWAGAT ONLINE – Grievances handling application : SWAGAT online is being viewed as model for replication at the national level.
- CMâ€™S Portal â€“ Most Transparent and Interactive G2C Portal of any CM at the national level
- State Portal â€“ Most User Friendly and Informative Portal of the State at the national level
- State Portal Dashboard â€“ Unique feature for better eGov G2C and G2G
- Share & Grow â€“ joining citizens for better eGovernance â€“ G2C with people participation
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative :
- SWAGAT GRIEVANCES:SWAGAT has been replicated by other States of India in different forms. Now, the effort is to take SWAGAT to 18,000 villages with Gram Swagat. â€“ Villages Villages are already already connected with broadband â€“ Swagat accessed at village level â€“ people people will not have to travel to Sub District Offices
- CM PORTAL: Speedier | Affordable | Accessible | Transparent and | Accountable
- STATE PORTAL: Transparent | Informative | User friendly | Affordable | Accessible
- SHARE & GROW FEATURE & INTERACTION WITH CM EMAILS: Interactive tools
- DASHBOARD ON STATE PORTAL : G2G and speedy interactive tools for G2G and C2G
Documents publishing URL :