Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/208
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled Content for K12 Education
Project Name : HeyMath! Program for schools
Details of Applicant
Name : Venkat Narayanan Natarajan
Address : Steeple Reach,First floor # 25, Cathedral Road
City : Chennai
State : Tamilnadu
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 600086
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Sankhyaa Learning Pvt Ltd
Address : Steeple Reach,First floor,# 25, Cathedral Road,
City : Chennai
State : Tamilnadu
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 600086
Name of the head
of Organisation : Harshvardhan Rajan
Website : www.heymath.com
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative : HeyMath! was co-founded in June 2000 on the premise that â€œevery student countsâ€. Developed in formal collaboration with the University of Cambridge and experts from IIT and other Math centers of excellence, HeyMath! supports the work of teachers and helps students build a strong foundation in Mathematics. Over the last 11 years, HeyMath! has established itself as a cutting-edge program that provides transformational and sustainable value addition to Government school systems in Singapore, India, the United States and Africa. Used in over 50 countries, the program addresses the full spectrum of student needs â€“ ranging from historically education deprived communities to gifted students in the high performing systems of the developed world. HeyMath! provides teachers and students at elementary, middle and high schools with technology-enabled and curriculum-oriented digital resources delivered both through offline and online( cloud) platforms. The animated visuals and interactive tools in the program engage the learners, strengthen conceptual understanding through discovery, help in retention of ideas, and enhance problem-solving skills â€“ driving the learning deeper and connecting to real world applications. Moreover, as students are exposed to international teaching and assessment methodologies, they are also benchmarked to their peers, globally. â€œHeyMath! Zonesâ€ redefine the paradigm of learning Math from books & black board to fun filled experiential physical learning environments. All this delivered in a scalable and low-cost manner.
Why was the project started :
There has been a perennial quantitative & qualitative shortage of teachers in Maths. In order to bridge this deficit in teaching capacity, the traditional service provider approach would be about supplying Math teachers who have been trained by an experienced teacher. This was felt to be non-scalable and non- standardizable. So the ICT method of designing the learning resources with creative pedagogical techniques for each concept was conceived so that every student could benefit from the virtual teaching by the best teacher for each topic. HeyMath! has been a social values driven organization . Our gender parity & demographical inclusivity are noted by NASSCOM. This organizational design ensures social equity of providing access to the best teaching for any school.
Tne HeyMath! Program was implemented to: 1. To integrate innovative ICT methods into the curriculum instruction so as to suit multiple learning styles and intelligence abilities of every student, 2. To positively impact student motivation and attitude towards Mathematics, 3.To raise teacher productivity
Target group : K-12 curriculum for Indian CBSE, ICSE, State board, Matriculation boards, Singapore Curriculums, US curriculums, South African curriculums
Geographical reach : Presently India, Singapore, South Africa & the US
Date from which the
project became operational : 14 July 2009
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Outcome validated pedagogy: Proven Improvements in Teacherâ€™s effectiveness, Learnersâ€™ motivation and performance
- Customer Co-creation: Content developed with Customer feedback, best practices and piloting approach. HeyMath! classroom observers track student receptivity besides usage metrics.
- Teacher Personalization: Program content is fully personalizable integrating video, audio & text resources from the teacher
- Learner centric subject content: Interactive Program content delivers conceptual clarity, procedural fluency & problem solving approach besides higher order thinking skills
- Suited to all learning abilities: Program addresses needs of learners with diverse abilities, from historically education deprived groups of Africa to the gifted students of Singapore through range of content. Over 1000 lessons, 40K qns,
- Real life application: Program content connects with Real life application of concepts
- Content covers all learning influences: Content is not only static Classroom learning. Experiential Learning in HeyMath! zone ( Math lab )with handheld kits, elements and peer group activities, Online learning outside school using assignments &tests, social learning in Math trail group events constitutes HeyMath!â€™s view of content
- Curriculum aligned content: Content is strictly linked to curriculum topics, learning objectives and Curriculum goals of the respective boards such as CCE ( Formative & Summative Assessments
- Metrics driven intervention: Software tracking of usage â€“ lessons, duration & question bank resources accessed and classroom observations, teacher training feedback & Student performance , benchmarking data of student performance define intervention strategies
- Change management: Program does not undermine teacherâ€™s role but empowers them with ICT tools , systematic training on software, pedagogy, best practices. Incorporates their feedback into the lessons and their assessment resources into Qn bank etc besides personalization thereby resulting in smooth change management.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Dispelling the fear of Maths: The ICT method and experiential learning promotes fun and interest in the subject. Digital activities in the HeyMath! Zone make Math lab as popular as Games period with students.
- Student performance: Measured improvement in student results in Delhi, Sikkim, Pondicherry, Africa show systemic impact. Promotes student higher order thinking skills through Interactive lessons with Real life application context of lessons and formative assessments
- Teacher productivity: Teacher effectiveness on explaining concepts, classroom handling using worksheets, lesson guides, Math software tools for complex topics
- Collaboration and sharing of best practices & teacher resources through online forum and teacher training initiatives
- Enabling a â€œflat worldâ€ opportunity for Parents to afford world class teaching methods at low cost. Online access to the student enables parent also to teach their children.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/iniative
- Infrastructure: Schools without access to infrastructure are served through Offline technology where the program is accessed through handy netbook usable by the teacher along with projector and UPS. Content secured through encryption prevents IP theft.
- Â Change management: Program does not undermine teacherâ€™s role but empowers them with ICT tools , systematic training on software, pedagogy, best practices. Incorporates their feedback into the lessons and their assessment resources into Qn bank etc besides personalization thereby resulting in smooth change management.
- Teacherâ€™s lack of ICT skills: Addressed through Intense workshops and periodic training. Complete on the ground support throughout the program. Rewarding of teachers and students for usage
- Cultural contextualization for students: Use of local contexts, names and objects in the lessons especially for lower grades helps students to â€˜connectâ€™ with the lesson
- Classroom management: Using Worksheets, Lesson guides helps teacher to be ready with the Netbook while students work on recap points
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Distribution of ICT resources through multiple platforms: HeyMath! has technology to deliver the program content offline, online ( cloud) , portable on USB ( without the need for installation of app ) and is also foraying onto mobile platforms.
- Pedagogical innovation through involvement of experts : Ensures content which is always valuable instead of merely providing animations or infrastructure. Pedagogical innovation by experts from Cambridge, Stanford, Israel Center for excellence thru education, IIT, IISER etc
- On the ground support: Relationship with the school through relationship managers, product experts, technology engineers makes adoption of ICT possible in schools
- Focus on every student: Education is for all and not just select groups. Program designed for gender, social, learning style diversity
- Innovation environment for employees to encourage diverse skills and inclusivity in building ICT enabled learning resources. Our gender & demographical inclusivity are noted by NASSCOM. This diversity in product team addresses needs of differently talented learners
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/iniative
- The program content has been tailored to CBSE,ICSE, State board & Matriculation schools. Also in use are content for South Africa, US & Singapore curriculum
- Technology wise, the program can be scaled in all modes â€“ Online, Offline, Portable and Mobile
- Assessment tools and ever growing Question bank ( over 40K items ) ensures supply of assessment items for different purposes , from practice tests to inter school online contests
- Online Users from over 50 countries is a proof of the utility of content on a global scale
- Distribution of HW & running the program: The program has been implemented across India, Africa, Singapore & USA, so the capability to deliver this to many parts of the world with translation and recruitment of local trainers is a working model already