Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/228
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best Assessment Tool Providers
Project Name : Iken Evaluate
Details of Applicant
Name : Kanchan Bhagat
Address : 601-612 – Midas, Sahar Plaza M V Road JB Nagar, Andheri
City : Mumbai
State : Maharashtra
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 400 059
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Mexus Education Pvt. Ltd.
Address : 601-612 – Midas, Sahar Plaza,M V Road,JB Nagar, Andheri
City : Mumbai
State : Maharashtra
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 400 059
Name of the headÂ of Organisation : Anil Goyal
Website : www.mexuseducation.com
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
Iken Evaluate was introduced by Mexus Education to the educational institutions as a tool to facilitate diagnostic and formative assessment techniques of evaluation that would encourage student involvement and provide for practice and improvement instead of considering students accountable for skills and concepts. A repository of over 25,000 multiple-choice questions is offered to the schools as a part of Learning Management System (LMS). These questions encompass all the topics for entire K-12 segment of education. Teachers only need to pick the relevant questions to draft the test. The Iken Evaluate system offers teachers the flexibility to add new questions to the test. These assessments should be incorporated throughout the instructional process to allow for remedial teaching as well as gauging the right pedagogy based on the orientation of the class. A set of Radio Frequency (RF) based Remote Devices which are similar to a mobile device in their constitution, are offered as a part of this assessment system. Every student registers their remote with the technological interface of LMS. This remote has buttons corresponding to the four options of the question. The test is administered by projecting the questions on screen for students to answer. Students have to answer by clicking the button corresponding to the option they wish to choose as the answer. The system records the scores and analyzes the performance. Performance analysis can be reported on various parameters including individual score reporting against classroom performance, classroom performance on subtopics of a concept etc. These results are generated and projected immediately for the performance analysis and incorporating the findings in improvising the mode of instruction so as to make it more effective.
Why was the project started :
The existing summative assessment approach of schools fails to offer a comprehensive assessment as it offers little scope of enhancing studentâ€™s knowledge on a set of academic topics over a period of time. Iken Ecosystem was developed by Mexus Education to minimize the exam stress students while offering for highly effective assessment systems.
To enhance the efficiency of current assessment systems by offering means to assess students frequently and consistently with immediate analysis.
Target group : Educational Institutions catering to the K-12 segment of education
Geographical reach : Pan India â€“ across Tier I, Tier II and Tier III cities of all the four zones of India
Date from which the project became operational : 1 September 2008
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- These response assessment systems are based on formative assessment systems which allow the teachers to identify the comprehension gaps and thus work out the remedial teaching measures to bridge the gaps.
- This assessment system is developed on the LMS platform, thereby it becomes very convenient to non tech-savvy teachers to administer these tests with comfort.
- Through the detailed performance analysis at the school level, school has a system to identify where the classes are weak at a macro-level. This kind of analysis has not been possible through the conventional assessment systems.
- Iken Evaluate system integrates formative assessment system that provides for continuous evaluation. When this system is paired with interim assessments, it acts as tool for Schools to identify their competencies and areas that require development.
- With Iken Evaluate system, parents have an access to the topic-wise performance of the students over time. This offers an insight to the studentâ€™s vocational / academic preferences. Thus, the system acts as a tool for parents to offer better vocational guidance and support to their students.
- The system reduces the accountability of students as they are now evaluated on several new parameters like topic comprehension, understanding of concept application, in addition to the textbook learning.
- Iken Evaluate system provides for accurate and instantaneous evaluation through a formal assessment system that fills the gaps in evaluation arising out of subjectivity in assessment, informal evaluation systems and standards etc.
- The competitive spirit of students nurtured when the performance analysis is flashed on the screen and they have a class performance benchmark to measure their performance against classroom performance.
- The mode of administering the test is very innovative and gets students engaged in the process which is a complete antithesis of the present attitude of students towards the exam.
- As the entire process is managed on a digital platform, there is no paper-work involved. The system supports the environmental cause of saving papers and thereby the trees.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Iken Evaluate system provides for micro-analysis of studentâ€™s preference as reflected in their performance in every topic of every subject in every grade (over K-12). These results aggregated and analyzed over a period of few years are best indicators of childâ€™s intrinsic orientation and how it has evolved over time. With Iken Evaluate System, it is now possible to identify the strength of studentâ€™s career orientations so they are channelled in the right direction.
- With Iken Evaluate system, it has become possible to introduce formative system of assessment. Teachers are able to identify topic-based levels of comprehension of the class, as a whole. This provides room for remedial instruction to ensure a threshold level of understanding is reached by the entire class. This has brought about a remarkable improvement in overall quality of classroom instruction.
- Results of class performance of all the classes of a particular grade over time, give management a tool to track the efficiency of their staff and plan their developmental activities.
- With summative assessment the responsibility for the performance in the interim evaluations is completely shouldered by the students. However, with the introduction of formative assessment system the responsibility for effective instruction is borne by the teacher and subsequent assimilation and retention becomes the responsibility of the students.
- The schools are now able to administer tests of every session, while successfully working within the resource constraints including manpower and talent considerations, material resources and space constraints. The efficiency of resource management improves making it possible to include planning of extra-curricular developmental activities like appraisals; remedial teacher training session planning and retention activities planning.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- These tests involve multiple choice questions administered through gadgets to enhance student engagement. The element of sincerity is very low and there is natural instinct to wait and check otherâ€™s answers before answering. To keep the approach of copy and discuss in check, Mexus advised addressing alternate questions to adjacent students.
- Over-dependence on set Summative Assessment Systems for performance measurement. This only allocated the individual accountability of performance that is generally used as a part of grading process. While this addresses the broad performance parameters like gauging effectiveness of the program, curriculum alignment, it does not provide any information at classroom level to makes amendments during the instructional process. Mexus Education recommended the usage of balanced assessment system through an appropriate weightage to a mix for formative and summative assessment system; to maximize the effectiveness of assessments. Introduction of formative assessment through session specific tests at the end of each session, to gauge the effectiveness of session and to work towards remedial learning. These systems help schools in tracking the break-up of marks, identifying the gaps in understanding and retention and to provide measure for bridging these gaps.
- Most of the present teachers are not acquainted with systems and technology. Thereby, tasks like picking the questions from repository; adding their questions etc. make them feel over-burdened with technology. Mexus adapted the dashboard of the Assessment System user-friendly, to an ex tent that navigation through the system is now as basic as navigating through a mobile. Also, a comprehensive teacher-training program to acquaint and familiarize teachers with the technology. A resident Mexus expert, a professional not just in technology but also the pedagogy, supports the instructors at all times for troubleshooting.
- Overcoming line of health and operational concerns associated with use of recently popular Infra-red technology based remotes (the industry standards). Iken Evaluate Systems developed the remotes operating on the radio frequency technology. RF technology makes it possible to register an answer without actually having to aim at the receiver, thus, best addressing the line of sight concern. This is a major problem for schools with smaller classroom areas. It also addresses the health concerns arising out of exposure to carcinogenic radiations that might arise due to exposure to the widely used IR-based remote devices.
- The feasibility of application of the system was hampered on account of the cost implications of the system. This was addressed by offering an option of adopting one classroom assessment solution using it to administer tests of various grades. Additionally, portability was induced in the system, making it possible for the remotes to be configured to multiple points across the school.
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Iken Evaluate model is developed with an objective of identifying the understanding factor of the class on a particular topic. With topic-specific, multiple choice questions it is possible to identify where the school performance is weak. As these tests are administered immediately after the instruction, it becomes possible for teachers to â€¦ remedial instruction in the class. This ensures reinforcement of the content, especially the less understood parts. Thus, when the students move to further grades they are able to relate to the complex concepts better with a clear understanding of the basics.
- Â A significant portion of teacherâ€™s time in divested in evaluating the exam test papers. Additionally, in consideration is the fact that this evaluation is an informal process. The grading of subjective answers depends largely on teacherâ€™s orientation at a particular point of time, which impedes the accuracy of grading system. Iken Evaluate System offers a model where the evaluation becomes structured, instantaneous and accurate. The results are reliable and hence the effectiveness of remedial activities is considerable.
- There is a gradual shift in perception of concept of learning and government has been playing its part in routing new learning concepts through the Indian Education System. In one such attempts, a mandate to follow CCE (Comprehensive and continuous evaluation) system has been issued to all CBSE schools. Iken Evaluate system offers for accurate, objective-based evaluation. Thus, behavioral ambiguities in assessments like nepotism, informal system etc. are addressed.
- More often than not, parents fail to extend vocational guidance to their wards â€“ due to lack of appropriate evaluation tools and failure to give due consideration to the analysis of vocational inclinations. As a result, children are pushed in stereotyped career paths, regardless of their preferences. Iken Evaluate system offers a model to measure the performance indicators, which may then be analyzed by the Career councilor of the school to identify the vocational preferences of the students. This system offers a detailed break-up of performance of a student on every topic under academic domain. When the results of over a period of an year are reviewed, it offers a comprehensive database to analyze these preferences.
- Lately, the retention of talented teachers and students has been the primary concern of the schools. Iken Evaluate tools would offer a comprehensive tool to bring about the standardization in the procedure and quality of assessments. Integration of facilitation, analystic and diagnostic assessment system will enhance the effectiveness of the entire process while resources deployment would be optimal.
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programe/project/initiative
- Iken Evaluate System model is designed to evaluate individual performance and mark it up against class performance and then against the school performance. The model works on the fundamental of assessing the general understanding of concept through select response tests. Though we are presently catering to K12 educational sector, this model can be scaled up to higher education and vocational course assessments.
- The repository of questions and supplementary questions are added directly on the centrally located knowledge server within the school premises. Thereby, the assessment solution for one classroom can be scaled up to multiple classrooms without having to merge and/or migrate the data. It is also possible to scale up the utility of one classroom assessment solutions to administer tests for different grades.
- Iken Evaluate system is integrated with the Learning Management System platform. Thus, it is also possible to integrate the system with different platforms and solutions like web-platform, assistive technological aids etc.
- The objective of assessment solutions is to offer a comprehensive analysis of studentâ€™s performance over time in various subjects and topics. These solutions can be scaled to be used for activities beyond measurement & assessment of performance by schools for career counseling, selection of vocational courses etc.
- These solutions are presently being used for the formative assessments to gauge the concept clarity and for remedial teaching to maximize understanding and retention. However, the system can be scaled up to administer diagnostic learning technique which helps in assessing the primary orientation and interest levels about the topic. This would help teacher is adopting the instruction method best suited for the class.