Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/231
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled Content for K12 Education
Project Name : Iken Library
Details of Applicant
Name : Kanchan Bhagat
Address : 601-612 – Midas, Sahar Plaza M V Road JB Nagar, Andheri
City : Mumbai
State : Maharashtra
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 400 059
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Mexus Education Pvt. Ltd.
Address : 601-612 – Midas, Sahar Plaza,M V Road,JB Nagar, Andheri
City : Mumbai
State : Maharashtra
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 400 059
Name of the headÂ of Organisation : Anil Goyal
Website : www.mexuseducation.com
Brief description of the progra me/project/Initiative :
Iken Library is a project conceived by Mexus Education to offer schools digital teaching aids that would invoke student engagement while helping teacherâ€™s focus on the addressing the students individually based on their orientations of understanding. Digital Aids to promote engagement and to improve on the concept-clarity as this provides for audio as well as visual engagement. Every topic of every subject over the K-12 education system is elaborated through various digital tools including: Mind-maps: A graphic summation of a topic / concept used primarily for Concept introduction or revision. Animations: A day-to-life situation/crisis is built around our comic characters. This provides for excellent opening of the topic. Students remain engaged in the movie and relate with basic topic through the animation while teachers now have free time on their hands to set-up for the main session. Real-time movies: Complex concepts like detailing of human eye or the digestive system, that are difficult to describe, are best elaborated by taking students through the movie and showing them the process instead of instruction on the process. Presentations: Presentations are developed in power-point specifically for the topics that require step-by-step explanation and understanding. All the detailed processes are outlined here to direct the session. Worksheets & Case Studies: Worksheets are printable topic-wise developed sheets with a minimum of 10 questions per sheet. These questions are both text-based and image-based. Popular cases and events are studied from business or economic perspective. They connect theoretic concepts to real life events where these concepts can be applied for handling the situation more effectively.
Why was the project started :
For half a century now, Indian Education System is following a set pattern of having teacherâ€™s instruct the class of students on textbook concepts and make them learn the concepts from text-book. This was extremely effective during the era of industrialization when expectation from a literate person was to know basic 3-5 concepts that he would be using to work on his profile and skill were expected to be developed by doing the repetitive task again. However, as the modern economy evolved, there has been a shift in competency and expectation sets. After education, job seekers are now expected to take accountability, be creative in setting up their systems etc. This has created an issue of increasing proportion of educated-unemployed population.
To offer aids that would call for engagement, thus, the subject-wise learning and retention of the concepts are maximized. This brings about a balance in expected level of knowledge and the educational degree attained. 2. To minimize the resource requirements of the school, mainly in Support staff, material resources Paper Work resources. 3. To streamline recording and analyzing various data sets including the Student Performance, Fee-accounting, Attendance Records etc. to streamline the information and determine the performance of the company.
Target group : Educational Institutions catering to the K-12 segment of education
Geographical reach : Pan India â€“ across Tier I, Tier II and Tier III cities of all the four zones of India
Date from which theÂ project became operational : 1 September 2008
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Content Philosophy: The philosophy of content promoting learning by engaging students in entertainment-based educational content is an innovation in itself. Over 50 years, we have been adopting the system of rote-learning without really understanding or assimilating the concepts. The multimedia content developed by Mexus Education focuses on developing understanding of the concepts than merely encouraging them to read and recall the concepts.
- Age-appropriate content, Localized characters: Consideration to the Indian accents and intonations makes it easier for children to hear and understand the audio of the content. Indian characters and contexts of the content, makes it easier for students o relate with content. The content is designed with consideration to the preferences and comprehension levels of a particular age-group. For instance, primary content is developed in 2D with very raw, sketchy charcters and crayonized backgrounds which students relate with.
- Socio-cultural relevance: The characters and content is designed with due consideration to accents, intonations and social contexts (locality is considered). Students relate to such content far better, as they can place themselves in the situation like the characters of the content.
- Interactive media resources: Media resources like videos, animations and presentations have interactive incorporated in the resources itself. Teachers do not have to wait until after the animation/videos are complete run through to take up discussion or question from the students.
- Integrated formative assessment system: This content is integrated with a repository of topic-based multiple choice questions. These allows for teachers to identify the comprehension levels of the class on the topic instructed immediately. The gaps in instruction and comprehension can be easily identified and bridged.
- Ease of Navigation and Usage: The content is streamlined and catalogued on various parameters like class, subject and topic. This makes the navigation more user-friendly and ensures the ease of access. For teachers who are not extremely tech-savvy, the navigation is as simple and basic as the navigation over the mobile phones.
- Central theme of communication: A day-today situation is built to develop the resources for a concept. Multiple resources including the animations, movies, curriculum-based comic books are then developed on this theme. This reinforcement of context builds better recall.
- Innovative product features: Several products features of LMS and content viz. Question bank repository; Concept summarizing, Lesson Plan, unique characters, bundled together in a comprehensive pedagogy is an innovation in itself.
- PhET and Bagatrix tools: Several different teaching tools and media including PhET (Science Concept Simulating tools) and Bagatrix (tool for understanding and solving mathematical questions). This saves teachers time in chalking the detailed solutions and processes, allows to have back-up of the session which can be used with an emphasis on problem solving.
- Application based concept elaboration: Concepts are instructed not just from the theoretical perspective but the application of the same are asserted. This helps students in understanding how the concept fits in the broader perspective.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Iken Library outlines a new pedagogy for schools that involves use of digital aids to keep children engaged in the academic content and renders a picture to teacherâ€™s description of the subject. This has helped teacher with instructing the class on complex topics while ensuring that every student in the class gets individual attention and reaches the basic level of understanding on the topic.
- The mode of instruction is evaluation in itself. Both resources and the integrated assessment repository allows for teacher to gauge understanding of the students on a topic and implement remedial learning so that so that the instructor bears responsibility of getting the entire class to a basic understanding level for a particular topic.
- All the digital resources featuring in Iken Library promote students engagement and involvement. They help students to grasp the content better understand the present applications of the concept. This orients them in developing their thinking on the futuristic applications of these concepts. Thereby, when the students enter the career phase; they flexible to adapt with new products and processes.
- Character-based learning plays a major role in enhancing the recall of the concepts. The understanding is taken up a notch with it is paired with retention. Reinforcement of the concepts through character-based learning over varied resources has improved the recall of the concept as the students place themselves in place of these characters and read through the concepts.
- Around 650 schools from across India have adopted Iken Library over just 2years and there has been a significant escalation in the school overall performance by adopting the Mexus aids and pedagogies.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the program/project/initiative
- The content philosophy, resources as well as the learning management platform were quite innovative. Addressing developmental challenges in terms of R&D costs, building relevant platforms, board-publisher mapping of the content were the major concerns to tackle. Mexus Education has set up a specialized academic innovations team of 250 professional across India to attend to school and region specific requirements.
- Meeting with teacherâ€™s increasing expectation posed a major challenge. As the awareness of the digital aids increased, teachers expected total content dependency for introduction. While these aids, by name, signify that these are tools to enhance the effectiveness of the teacherâ€™s instruction and not as stand-alone medium. Mexus Education has chalked out a comprehensive training and hand-holding program for teacherâ€™s whereby the technology and its objectives are introduced to the teachers.
- As with adoption of any innovation, there were significant Skill & Will issues across the stakeholders of education sector. Either management lacked the perspective to try new pedagogies or teacherâ€™s did not feel comfortable and secure using these aids to instruct or the parents were of the opinion that the seriousness of the topic is lost due to use of entertaining media to instruct. Our education solutions consultants discussed the perspectives and relevance of deploying these aids with school management and sometimes even the teachers. Commercial communication activites like television commercials or Print media coverages were deployed to create awareness amongst the teachers. Platforms like Eduvates (talk-shows hosted by Mexus on regional levels) were developed for communicating the purpose of deploying these aids and their effective usage.
- Indian has been a diverse country and the schooling has been, more often than not, conducted in the local languages. These schools have been open to technology adoption, however, they have requirement of localized content, specially the regional language. Common English language used for developing the content has restricted the market reach to local schools. Our Reaseach & development team has already developed content in Gujrati and it has been commercialized. Content in Hindi and other regional language is in process of development. In coming few years, we plan to reach every school in the country regardless of the language of instruction, with our innovative products.
- Helping teachers realize the right perspective of utilizing several resources have been a challenge. There are various content resources offered to instruct a particular topic. However, a teacher has to blend the resources appropriately; depending on the orientation of the class in general. This becomes quite a task for teachers who have been practicing rote instruction through their career. Training program developed by Mexus education has a separate module that introduces teachers to classroom orientation and mixing the resources appropriately to best relate with the students.
List the 5 points how can the programme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Iken Library comes with an integrated assessment model developed with an objective of identifying the understanding factor of the class on a particular topic. With topic-specific, multiple choice questions it is possible to identify where the school performance is weak. As these tests are administered immediately after the instruction, it becomes possible for teachers to incorporate remedial instruction in the class. This ensures reinforcement of the content, especially the less understood parts. Thus, when the students move to further grades they are able to relate to the complex concepts better with a clear understanding of the basics.
- RemotÂ User based model – As most of the content is platform based; this works as a remote-user based access model. With this, once the platform is deployed on central server; there can be multiple access points for the content; regardless of distance.
- Character-based learning model â€“ The philosophy of character based learning model lies in identifying the behavioral orientations of a particular age-group and developing a character that they can best relate with. The closer the character to oneâ€™s attitudes and lifestyles, the more one relate to them. Better the correlation more is the understanding and retention of the pointers.
- Educatonal model for CSR activities â€“ With corporates increasingly undertaking educational CSR initiatives; this serves as a model that allows of education instruction with minimal resources and support. The basic objective of developing the skills and learnigns of Corporate CSR is best served by Iken Library.
- Iken learning system, with its multiple resources, serves as a model that best relates with varied intellectual orientations, thus, ensuring that all the mind-sets are addressed within the pre-defined time limit.
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programer/project/initiative
- Multimedia Content of Iken Library is designed to relate with all the different kinds of intellectual orientations in the class. The model works on developing different modes of digital contents, each for certain intellectual types, to ensure complete class comprehension. Though we are presently catering to K12 educational sector, this model can be scaled up to higher education and vocational course assessments.
- Individual content resources are now brought together on a common platform of Digital Library repository. Both content and the platform have the flexibility of integration with multiple digital platforms viz. web resources, TPT resources etc. This allows for the project to be scaled to web; opening the avenue of dissemination through cloud-computing model; that is lately a fast-moving trend in the technology.
- As the content development revolves around building a central Character-Situation based theme, it can be scaled up to instruct various related complex subjects and topics and go beyond the syllabus as well. This would also play an integral role in the entrance exam tests preparations.
- Once the comic characters and situations / story-lines are inveterate, it is communicated through various media including over web platform, DVDs, Books, assembling the concepts etc. Thereby, the content in itself can be scaled up to relate with several intellectual orientations.
- Content philosophy of the digital content is encouraging engagement and entertainment while elaborating on the main concepts. The philosophy in itself can be scaled up to address several training, instructions etc. Thereby, the philosophy need not be restricted to education sector only.