Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/193
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled University of the Year
Project Name : Implementation of IT at Gujarat Technological University
Details of Applicant
Name : Ghanshyam p Vadodaria
Address : Admission Committee for Professional Courses Building L.D College of Engineering Campus Navarangpura
City : Ahmedabad
State : Gujarat
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 380015
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Gujarat Technological University
Address : Admission Committee for Professional Courses Building,L.D College of Engineering Campus,Navarangpura
City : Ahmedabad
State : Gujarat
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 380015
Name of the head of Organisation : Dr. Akshai Aggarwal
Website : WWW.GTU.AC.IN
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
The Gujarat Technological University (GTU) http://www.gtu.ac.in was setup by the State in 2007 to regulate the affiliation, examination, curriculum development etc in the area of professional education like Engineering, pharmacy, management, computer science and Hotel Management. University has started functioning in the year 2008 with engineering and pharmacy institutions (219 approx.) and grown up to 500 plus institutions imparting education in the field of engineering, pharmacy, management, computer science and Hotel Management. Presently university is providing single umbrella shelter to more than 78 different courses and more than 4 million students across the state. University has concentrated in the field of research, innovation and application of professional skills for socio economical betterment. University is trying hard in the sector of technology transfer at different levels. To achieve the set goal of university, GTU is working for Industry Define Project (IDP), Faculty Development Project (FDP) and User Define Project (UDP). The jurisdiction of university is whole state; hence GTU has divided the affiliated institutes in to five different zones for better management and control. GTU has transformed not only by innovating strategies in better managing examinations but also in all strata of policy innovations. By promoting the excellence in every mechanism GTU wish to march ahead with progressive goals. GTU has bagged many awards: ICT Enabled University Award and Manthan Award for e-learning in the year 2009; GESIA Award and Digital Learning World Education Summit Award in the year 2011. Winning awards in the consecutive years proves the seriousness and striving for excellence incrementally. GTU have excelled not only in education processes and targets but also in all extracurricular domains. The achievements in the time frame have been quite inclusive ranging from state level Blood donation award from Indian Red Cross Society by H.H. Governor of Gujarat and Chief Minister. Achievements of the university are self benchmarking and it has ensured steady growth in the agenda of making a progressive knowledge ecosystem. The cementing relationship which has been developed with MSME communities and public departments via GTU Innovation Council is ensuring a vibrant tomorrow in the higher education strata in country.
Why was the project started :
To develop the knowledge of science, engineering, technology, management and environment for the advancement of quality of life of the mankind in general and in relation to the domain of engineering, technological development and applications.
To create institutes and centers of excellence for imparting state-of-the-atr education, training and research. To create capabilities for development of knowledge, skill and competency at various levels. To create upgraded infrastructure of global standard for education, training and research. To function as a leading resource centre for knowledge, management and entrepreneurship development. To establish close linkage with industry to make teaching, training and research relevant to the needs of the industry at various levels.
Target group :Students at under-graduate and post-graduate levels, Faculty members and researchers, Industries, Society, without any prejudice on the sole ground of sex, rac, creed, cast, class, religious belief or political opinion
Geographical reach :Across Gujarat State
Date from which the project became operational : 8 July 2008
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- GTU has initiated encrypted examination papers on compact disk first time in the state and used mobile SMS technique to decrypt examination papers across the state. Exam paper delivery system at GTU is a paper less delivery of papers system. Security is through encryption /decryption technique having three layer password protection, out of which one password is delivered before half an hour of the examination through dedicated mobile SMS service. 2. Automation of pre exam activities like A. Exam form generation and receipt, B. Hall ticket generation, C. student exam barcode and other reports. This has been achieved with proper implementation of Information Technology. 3. GTU has developed itâ€™s own IT based bar-coded automated systems for a. examiners orders, b. distribution/receipt of answer book to/from examiner c. mapping of student barcode and d. result processing. 4. On-line result declaration for more then 4 lakh students, 78 courses with consolidated history of all semester records. 5. GTUâ€™s examination results are declared on its web-site only. 6. GTU issues no hard-copy circulars to its 495 Colleges. These are only issued electronically on its web-site. Click Here 7. GTU is controlling all the related activities with very few hand picked officers and Â¼ supporting staff with help of proper implementation of Information Technology and automation. 8. It has conducted online entrance tests for 16000 MBA/MCA candidates at more than 20 odd centers successfully without any glitch as follows
- To improve the teaching learning processes , GTU has taken several ICT Initiatives: 1. Using WebEx for remote teaching of VLSI Design and Embedded Computing courses through experts from all over the world. a. We are exploring the possibility of using A-View for connecting an excellent teacher at one College to multiple Colleges b. We have also made a request to BISAG for two full-time TV channels for educational purposes 2. Allocation of XXX@gtu.edu.in addresses to the entire GTU community of about 4 lakh students: Already allocated to 1 million students and teachers; Before the beginning of the next semester, the addresses will be allocated to all the 4 lakh students. Click Here 3. Collaboration and Learning Environment (CLE) for PG Courses Gujarat Technological University (GTU): a. GTU has as many as 40 PG level courses in various disciplines such as Master of Engineering (ME), Master of Pharmacy (MPHARM), Master in Computer Application (MCA), and Master in business management (MBA). GTU has launched a cluster of more than 2500 courses websites for various PG level courses to achieve the following objectives: organizing and sharing resources; b. providing effective ways to reach remote learners and connect them in a virtual course; c. to appeal to students visual and interactive learning modes; d. to help teach students real-world skills such as handling large volumes of information, developing research skills, analyzing and evaluating information. Such Learning Management Systems are today used in every University in the developed countries. However in India, this may be the first large-scale use of launching such a large number of courses website. Please visit: http://www.gtupgcourses.org/
- GTU Wikis (â€œusing collective intelligence for improving Learning Outcomesâ€). GTU Wikis are intended to serve teachers of GTU consortium colleges (PPP colleges) to achieve the following objectives: 1. Enable group of teachers teaching the same subject in different institutes to share their experience. 2. Building a community of learners located in different parts of the State, by working on the same document and adding their own parts. Please see: http://www.gtuwiki.wikispaces.net/
- GTU has provided at a few Colleges, rooms with 12-15 computers connected to a central server, on which the entire video course-set of IIT Mumbai has been mounted. Thus any student can take advantage of any of the lectures to supplement his study in the class room. By the end of April 2011, we shall estimate the usage of the facility to see whether our students find the facility to be useful
- GTU Discussion Boards enable teachers, senior faculties and principals of GTU affiliated colleges to interact with each other. GTU aims to achieve the following objectives through discussion boards to get educational as well as administrative inputs for decision making; to build relationship with institutes and among institutes and to enable discussion and debate topics which will give each other tips and ideas. The first four Discussions Boards for Principals/Directors of PG courses is being launched. Please visit: http://www.gtudiscussionforum.in/
- For Continuous Feedback from Students and a help-site (â€œFor the, Of the & By the Studentsâ€) Gujarat Technological University (GTU) enrols about 1.1 lacks students per year in various courses from undergraduate level to postgraduate level. GTU Campus Connect is the welcome website for students where they can simply register and post their queries regarding grades, syllabus, previous papers, examination rules, UFM rules, Detention criteria, credit system, other exam related things etc. Please see: http://www.gtucampusconnect.org/
- GTUâ€™s website is the most actively used site in the higher education field 1. Please see : http://www.gtu.ac.in/. 2. From this site, one can go to the following connected sites of GTU: a. GTU has created a connected web-site of GTU Innovation Council to report the working of its 25 Sankuls. 1. Please see : http://www.gtuinnovationcouncil.ac.in/. b. GTU is building a GTU Knowledge site to provide information about each one of its 495 Colleges. 1. Please see http://126.96.36.199:8099/instinfo/. c. This provides open access to all the stack holders to evaluate the College/ institute and itâ€™s resources.. 3. GTU has started publishing an electronic newsletter. 1. Please see http://www.gtu.ac.in/mypdf.asp. 4. GTU has a jurisdiction across the state, hence to minimize travelling of the students GTU provides, enrolment facilities through auto generated enrolment form via WEB-MAIL. 5. 25 No. of GTU innovation Sankuls , involving 250,000 students, 10,000 faculties and more than 300 Udisha Clubs in Colleges across Gujarat are being linked to SMEs in industrial estates. More than 500 industry leaders and every single Chamber of Commerce and Industry is associated with the University in its Innovation Sankul Committees. All the pre-Final year students have been directly linked to industries. 6. GTU is creating google groups called GTU Sectoral Groups in areas like Automobile Electronics, Automobile Engineering, Ceramics etc. These groups link students working on their Final Year projects with engineers in the industry and experts from inside or outside GTU. The engineers and experts provide mentoring to the students as they are working on their projects.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- ICT Enabled University Award for e-learning and Manthan Award South Asia for conducting On-line Entrance test for first time in any state in the year-2009.
- GTU is honoured with GESIA Award for best IT practicing university in 2011
- On April 14, 2011, GTU won the best jury Award under in category of Best Interface between Academia â€“ Industry at the World Education Summit 2011, New Delhi for its GTU Innovation Council project. The event was organized by IGNOU in association with the Centre for Science Development and Media Studies (CSDMS) and Elets Technomedia. The Co-organizers were AICTE, Department of Information Technology, Ministry of Communication & IT, Government of India, National e-Governance Plan and others.
- Gujarat Technological University wins Manthan Award 2009.
- GTU bags the award for ICT enabled University of the Year in E India 2009
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative :
- Motivating the professors to regularly update their course website has been a challenge, which we are trying to meet through continuously running Faculty Development Programs.
- For every site, where we receive messages from our stake-holders for responding to their queries, GTU must employ a full-time person for this job only
- Some times when the results of a larger program are declared, the site cashes and it takes us a couple of hours to bring it up.
- For a busy site, which is being updated daily, one has to continuously plan additional capacity so that users do not find it slow. GTU is considering Cloud based solutions for a part of its web-site as an experiment. It will be implemented soon
- Every one in the State today wants information about its public activities to be published on the GTU web-site, since it is one of the most popular sites. To refuse such requests is a challenge
List the 5 points how can the programme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- GTU has customized the automation of various activities to cover its wide spectrum of stake holders. GTU has provided faith and confidence to other university to step on the path enmarked using I.T.
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative
- Â GTU has shine out with 100% success for its online GCET test for MBA/MCA admission.
- Â GTU has provided smooth and safe two-way communication with its stake holders.
- Â GTU is controlling various activities across the state. Which provides emance appreciations for the system.