Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/251
Project Category : eGov::Best Government to Citizens Initiative of the Year
Project Name : JANMITRA SAMADHAN KENDRA
Details of Applicant :
Name : AKASH TRIPATHI
Address : COLLECTOR AND DISTRICT MAGISTRATE NEW COLLECTORATE OHADPUR
City : GWALIOR
State : MADHYA PRADESH
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 474012
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : COLLECTOR
Address : COLLECTOR AND DISTRICT MAGISTRATE,NEW COLLECTORATE,OHADPUR
City : GWALIOR
State : MADHYA PRADESH
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 474012
Name of the head of Organisation : Mr Akash Triptahi
Website : gwalior.nic.in
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
Over the years it is a general feeling in the field of public administration that with time government schemes have multiplied but at the same time there actual implementation in the field has deteriorated. This brings out a fact that while democratic governments are increasingly keen to devise a plethora of public welfare schemes, there implementers in the field are increasingly becoming insensitive towards there implementation. If we go in depth of this problem then we find that this paradox is due to lack of monitoring and careless attitude of field functionaries of different departments. In order to ensure time bound and efficient delivery of various government schemes & Programmes an innovative ICT initiative â€œJanmitra Samadhan Kendraâ€ has been implemented in all the Blocks of Gwalior. The project has two objectives 1. Ensuring timely, regular and efficient availability of basic G2C services through field functionaries in vital social sectors 2. Bringing administration closer to the citizens, i.e., improving access by placing the governmental interface as close to the citizens as possible The delivery matrix for G2C service are as under â€¢ Applicant submit his application at JSK . â€¢ A receipt of his application is given to applicant . Time limit is also printed on receipt . â€¢ Officials of designated department visits Janmitra to give his attendance â€¢ A copy of the application handed over to the concerned officials .Official solved the demand and inform the Center about status . â€¢ Data transferred to district headquater. â€¢ Data hosted in specially designed website for further analysis . In this initiative Biometric solution has been used to ensure the regular presence of field functionaries in the field. At the same time 72 services of 13 different departments are being delivered in a time bound and citizen friendly manner. This is being implemented through 47 Janmitra Kendras in the Gwalior. Normal service charges are being taken for the services rendered to the citizen . At these centers decentralized MIS entry of NREGS is also being done for the first time in the state.
Why was the project started :
Expeditious deliverv of G2C services, in terms of regularity, accessibility, availability and efficacy, to the rural poor has always been a challenge for district administration in India. Despite efforts aimed at democratic decentralization, a vast array of basic G2C services say demand for installation of a hand pump in a village -can still be availed of only at the district headquarters. This means that people from remote, rural villages have to travel anywhere up to 50 kms for a service as basic as obtaining a ration card. Since a majority of the rural poor are engaged in farm labour of work as daily wage earners, a single trip to the district headquarters entails a days wages or work on the fields as the opportunity cost. Service delivery is still not assured. One often has to undertake several such trips before a simple task- say obtaining the copy of record-of-rights, the basic land record document, is accomplished. Further, inadequacy of monitoring mechanisms makes it difficult for the Collector (chief administrator of the district) to ensure the on field availability of key field functionaries. Field staff in vital social sectors like health and education- say an auxiliary nurse and midwife (ANM) working in a remote sub health centre or a primary school teacher posted at a remote hamlet would often remain absent for long periods from their workplaces and district heads would not have any monitoring mechanisms to check such truancy on the part field level functionaries. Such absence would essentially have a deleterious impact on the service delivery efficacy of vital line departments. Serious flaws in service delivery at the field would in turn compel the rural poor, who are hit the hardest by the same, to throng district offices for grievance remediation. Thus the demand load from rural citizens would be highest on the top of the hierarchy, i.e. at the district headquarters while lower down, enforcing accountability for performance would become a difficult task in the absence of rigorous and intelligent monitoring mechanisms. Such state of affairs prevailed till late August. 2009 in the Gwalior district of Madhya Pradesh, India. Essentially, the interests of the rural poor were most seriously affected by this state of affairs and in general, administrative machinery was perceived as quite rigid: difficult, costly and time consuming in terms of access , Poor on field presence of field staff was a serious cause of concern for the district departmental heads on one hand and a monumental grievance for the rural citizens on the other. Janmitra was conceptualized, designed and implemented as a localized innovation in administration with the aim of placing citizen at the focal point of governance
To provide quality citizen services to rural masses of District Gwalior
Target group : Rural areas of district Gwalior
Geographical reach : Entire district Gwalior
Date from which the project became operational : 25 September 2009
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Janmitra Concept ensure quality and accountable service delivery system through decentralized Janmitra Centers.
- It ensures performance monitoring of field level functionaries ( Patwary, Health workers posted at Rural Areas , Aganwadi workers etc)
- Demand of the citizens being resolved in time bound manner
- System has conceptualize in such a way that it can sustain in poor infrastructure of village
- First time in MP MNREGA data entry is being done though decentralized KIOSKS .
- Centers are also functioning as service delivery hub for MP LOK SEWA GAURNTEE ACT .
- So far 329329 application have been received and 324395 application have been disposed off .
- First of its kind of project to monitor attendance and performance of field level functionaries
- More than 3200 field level functionaries are giving BIO MATRICS attendance at these centers
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Project has won CSI Nilihent award in e-District Catagory
- Successfull implementation of the project was an instrument in declaring Gwalior as ” Best e-governed district of Madhya Pradesh
- Project has won SKOCH ICT for India award 2010 .
- Project widely appreciated by Honble Chief Minister Madhya Pradesh, Honble MP , MLA and various media groups ( India Today , Dainik Bhasker , Local Media ) on various occasions .
- Project was finalist in STOCKHOME Challenge award , United Nation Public Service award 2010 , Manthan award .
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative :
- Poor infrastructure like scarcity of electricity , Poor network and telecom facilities at rural areas was major problem in implementing the project . Less demanding solution like DMP , Laptops , datacard etc are being used the janmitra Kendras
- No proper mechanism for performance monitoring of field level level functionaries exist before implementation of project .. Software has been desigened to check the performance of field functionaries
- Changing mindset of field level functionaries and converting manual system to computerized system was again a big challenge
- Changing mindset and beneficiaries ( Rural peoples) and educating them about functionality of new system
- Identification and their delivery mechanism of services which can be easily delivered by field level functionaries was a big challenge . Brain storming session had conducted to solve the problem .
List the 5 points how can the programme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Janmitra Samadhan Kendra is a self-sustainable, full equipped system of G2C service delivery system
- One time expenditure on infrastructure and hardware is just Rs. 1 Lac for one centre which has been arranged through Panchayat funds and NREGS contingency funds
- Recurring expenditure for running these centers is being managed through user charges collected,
- Since field level functionaries are regularly visiting these centre to give their BIO Matrices attendance , So actual service delivery is much faster than traditional model service delivery
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative :
- Beside Janmitra there was no other model available which ensure timely and accountable service delivery to rural masses through decentralized centers
- Janmitra is a very simple and innovative concept
- Expenditure on running of the centers can be easily met out from fee collected be beneficaries.
- Finacial inclusion and other facilities can be easily added on these centers.
- These centers can also function as decentralized service govt offices .