Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/247
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best Technology Solutions for Education Institutes
Project Name : LearningWare
Details of Applicant
Name : VIJAY PASUPULATI
Address : PRATHIMA, 1ST FLOOR PLOT NO. 213 JUBILEE HILLS ROAD NO. 1 FILMNAGAR
City : HYDERABAD
State : ANDHRA PRADESH
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 500096
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : WINZEST EDUTECH PRIVATE LIMITED
Address : PRATHIMA, 1ST FLOOR,PLOT NO. 213 JUBILEE HILLS,ROAD NO. 1 FILMNAGAR
City : HYDERABAD
State : ANDHRA PRADESH
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 500096
Name of the head of Organisation : SARATH SURA
Website : www.learningware.in
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative : LearningWareâ„¢ is the first product from Winzest in the higher education space and it provides a holistic solution to enhance the teaching-learning process in the engineering education system. Through LearningWareâ„¢, users get access to high quality learning content mapped to their specific university curricula. The content is hosted over the Cloud Servers and delivered over a Virtual Learning Environment. This ensures that the college doesnâ€™t have to invest in servers. The interactive and graphical nature of the content ensures a powerful learning experience for the learner or student. The content offered in LearningWareâ„¢ can be accessed by the student or the faculty anywhere and the product is continuously improved based on the feedback received from the users. The Online Tutorials and Teaching Aids come with high quality digital content in the form of animations, interactive simulations, live assessments and several tools for practice like exercises, assignments, case studies and projects. Apart from this, there is a large data base of solved Model Questions and multiple-choice-questions that helps students preparing for university examinations and other competitive tests. A unique differentiating factor in the LearningWareâ„¢ development process is the development of a Knowledge Warehouse, which is a modular repository of content based on universally recognized curricula.
Why was the project started :
As a start-up we at Winzest were looking to identify a market need and an appropriate solution to address that need. Also the solution needed to be differentiated, sustainable and scalable. In this process we identified that need for a solution that helps arrest the declining quality of higher education while supporting the required growth for capacity building. India has the largest school-going population in the world. This coupled with the objective to increase Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) in higher education is putting immense pressure to augment capacity in higher education. However, the challenge is to ensure quality with this growth. In this context we needed a solution that brings together academic depth, sound instructional design and good technology. This was the genesis of our e-learning product LearningWareâ„¢. We also believe that only though internet-driven e-learning solutions this need can be effectively address in a scalable and affordable way.
To Enhance the Learning Outcome in the Engineering Education Segment
Target group : Students, Faculty and Management of Engineering Colleges
Geographical reach : Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, NCR, UP, Orissa, Punjab. Since the solution is developed on a cloud based internet-driven SaaS model, it can be scaled to reach out to any user across the world.
Date from which the project became operational : 1 November 2010
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Â Solution built on a continuous development process where upgrades and corrections to the content are constantly carried out and instantly re-deployed.
- Solution is developed as a product which offers a holistic solution to every user in the engineering education space (student, faculty or college management).
- The solution is designed & developed using a modular framework aligned to internationally recognized curricula. This allows for easy mapping of the content to any university requirement.
- It is designed to seamlessly integrate into the academic environment of any institution offering engineering programs.
- Lean and efficient development cycle ensures quick time-to-market.
- LearningWareâ„¢ offers Online Tutorials which are reinforcements of classroom learning and act as compliment to the studentsâ€™ study material. There is a focus on interactive simulations which make the solution strong on learning outcomes.
- It also offers Teaching Aids for faculty, which are complimentary to the classroom teaching process.
- An integrated Assessment engine in the form of a large Question Bank with solved model questions and multiple choice questions completes the learning cycle.
- A comprehensive reporting engine with instant feedback, further learning recommendations and strong analysis of learning patterns.
- Cloud based internet-driven delivery making the solution highly scalable, affordable and with greater reach
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- More than 15000 students and 500 faculty are actively using the solution since the last 4 months.
- Within a span of 18 months since the start of the development process, LearningWareâ„¢ is probably offering the single largest repository of content for engineering courses.
- We have been able to raise debt funding for the World Bank after a series of discussions.
- The development process is streamlined in such a way so that academicians from leading institutions in the world are able to participate in the content development process.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- The first and foremost challenge was to put in place a team with the right mix for the development process. The team was formed through personal references and a well thought out recruitment strategy.
- Second challenge was to design a solution which would integrate into the existing academic system. This was achieved through a structured market research process which enabled us to identify the gaps in the system which required a solution like LearningWareâ„¢.
- Faculty resistance in accepting this kind of academic solution was another challenge, which was overcome by excluding voice and video components in the design making it a faculty driven solution.
- The fourth challenge was to enable delivery to the remotest locations. The technology of using a cloud servers enabled us to address this challenge
- For mass adoption we needed an affordable solution. Through open source technologies and a cloud-driven delivery we are able to provide very affordable solutions
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- With basic minimum IT infrastructure every college in the country can adopt LearningWare and seamlessly integrate it into the collegeâ€™s teaching learning system
- LearningWareâ„¢ will strengthen the teaching learning process in a seamless manner using digital enhancements in the form of animations and simulations
- With structured sessions mapped to specific university curricula it will be easy for colleges to adapt to this model without disturbing the academic infrastructure
- Since it is developed on the Open source platform, LearningWareâ„¢ can be offered as an affordable solution.
- LearningWareâ„¢ offers relevant content in the form of topics which are specifically mapped to various university syllabus.
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/iniative
- LearningWareâ„¢ is hosted on cloud servers. This system enables the product to scale both geographically as well functionally.
- The seamless integration to deliver LearningWareâ„¢ over devices like Laptops, Tablets and Mobile phones adds to the scalable feature. Overtime LearningWareâ„¢ can also be accessed over the DTH platform
- The modular approach of content development makes LearningWareâ„¢ to scale vertically i.e. addressing the needs at the graduate or even post graduate level and also horizontally i.e. at the professional and even vocational education level
- Open source platform of design can easily be enhanced using new add-ons