Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/210
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled Higher Education Institute of the Year
Project Name : MIT-SOM Gyan-Net
Details of Applicant
Name : Ranbir Bhatia
Address : S.NO. 124, Saraswativishwa Building, A-Wing, Paud Road, Kothrud
City : PUNE
State : Maharashtra
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 411038
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : MIT SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT PUNE
Address : S.NO. 124, Saraswativishwa Building,,A-Wing, Paud Road, Kothrud,
City : PUNE
State : Maharashtra
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 411038
Name of the headÂ of Organisation : Brig.(Dr.) Ranbir Bhatia
Website : www.mitsom.org
Brief description of theÂ programme/project/Initiative :
MIT-SOM Gyan-Net is an online web based automated system designed to bring all the academic activities of the institute under one roof. All the core academic functions of the institute such as students registration, selection of course and subjects, time-table, attendance, notices, subject related handouts, submission of assignments, exam details, faculty feedback are automated. One of the primary goals of the system is to improve teaching learning process and also to contribute to Go-Green initiative of MIT-SOM. Uniformity and consistent user interface and security are the key highlights of the system
Why was the project started :
MIT-SOM Gyan-Net was started in order to foster importance of ICT in teaching-learning process and also earlier third party developer was not in the position to continue. Hence this project is developed by the MCA students of the institute. The basic idea of automating and tracking all the academic activities related to the students for better understanding of the students and to facilitate ease of communication between faculty members. This system facilitates not only to students but their parents/guardians too so as to keep the parents/guardians updated with the latest happening to the institute. Basic objective is to bridge the communication gap between faculty members, students and their parents. The system is the multi-user environment where the users can create, store, manage and deliver digital content from a central repository. This system provides a centralized management of the instituteâ€™s learning content for efficient searching and retrieval. Attendance and the performance of the student throughout the course can be tracked and maintained for reference. Databank of the students can be generated for years together.
To improve efficiency and effectiveness of teaching- learning process of the institute.
Target group :Target group for the system are the students, faculty members, office staff, parents and top management authorities of the institute.
Geographical reach : No geographical limitation as system runs on the internet
Date from which theÂ project became operational : 27 September 2011
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- This project is developed by the 2ND year MCA students.Students were benefited by the opportunity to work on a live project and hence get exposure from the industry professional who have worked on the development of the various ERP systems since last 10 years.
- The developed system is the one stop shop which integrates all the departments of the organization through one single application and provides real time information and data to all the departments irrespective of its point of entry
- System is accessible throughout the web so the student/faculty can login from any location and access it.
- Online attendance marking system which makes ease to the faculty members as well as students and their parents are updated with the status of attendance and performance of the students
- It can help the regular learners to upgrade their knowledge base if they remain absent for any unavoidable reasons
- The System is flexible enough to adopt the changes as per the institute requirements as and when suggested. It also accommodates university and AICTE pre-requisites standards.
- To reduce paper based work in terms of handouts, notices, time tables and event related information.
- Common platform for faculty members, industry professionals to share their views and to provide the guidelines.
- Integrity with mobile services in future through which updated information to the parents as well as students will also available by mobile messages
- Supports strategic planning and implementation of the institute
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Developed by the students for the students with improved technical talent.
- Practical exposure to the project for the learning process with which there is quantum improvement in students performance.
- Informal knowledge sharing with over and above syllabus between the faculty members and students.
- A centralized system which is accessible across the campus
- Innovative practices for the students to become corporate ready
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- To convince the stake holders to use the system instead of going with the traditional approach of day to day work
- Maintaining the security of the network and various access levels.
- To manage changes in the scope and requirements for the system during design phase.
- Being a fresher to the project development of such a scale, integration and testing phase were extended beyond planned end date.
- To explain technical constraints to the end users/ stakeholders.
List the 5 points how can the programme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Highly integrated with compressive academic process.
- Provides transparency to all stake holders to parents, students, faculty members and higher management authorities.
- Efficient and effective for teaching and learning process.
- Generates backup for all the related processes as and when required which can be useful for institute accreditation processes
- The system is simple, user friendly, secure and also faster with reference to the latest technology and with optimum use of resources.
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative
- Flexible to add the changes as and when required across as per horizontal and vertical growth of the organization
- No limitation for number of end users/stake holders
- Access to the Gyan-net all over the globe.
- Compatibility with all the latest browsers
- Support for all the real time applications related to the system