Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/190
Project Category : eGov::Best Government to Citizens Initiative of the Year
Project Name : MPONLINE LIMITED
Details of Applicant :
Name : PRAMOD BHARGAVA
Address : 2nd FLOOR, NIRUPAM SHOPPING MALL, AHMEDPUR, HOSHANGABAD ROAD
City : BHOPAL
State : MADHYA PRADESH
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 462026
Details of Project/Implementing Agency :
Name of Organisation : MADHYA PRADESH STATE ELECTRONICS DEVEOPMENT CORPORATION
Address : 147, ZONE I, MP NAGAR, ,,
City : BHOPAL
State : MADHYA PRADESH
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 462026
Name of the head of Organisation : MR. ANURAG SHRIVASTAVA
Website : https://www.mponline.gov.in
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
The success of the project is amply demonstrated by its reach within the state, the breadth of services offered, the confidence of government departments in the portal to increasingly offer services exclusively through MPOnline and the ever increasing number of citizens accessing the portal to avail services. Our turnover has grown from Rs. 14 Lakhs in 2007-08 to Rs. 2.83 Crores in 2008-09 to Rs. 10.71 Crores in 2009-10 and 13.02 Crores in 2010-11 collection has increased from Rs 20 Lakhs to Rs 305 Crores in five years. The number of successful transactions has increased from 5.54 Lakhs in 2008-09 to 25.53 Lakhs in 2009-10 and 70 lakhs in 2010-11 MPOnline has increased its presence in almost every corner of Madhya Pradesh, expanding from less than 100 delivery centres in 2007-08 to over 2500 in 2009-10. The Current strength of Kiosks across the State of M.P. Is 8,100. MPOnline has increased its presence in almost every corner of Madhya Pradesh, expanding from less than 100 delivery centres in 2007-08 to over 8,100 in 2010-11. In this manner, generated employmentfor over 10,000 citizens and helped to build capacity and motivated IT literacy in the citizens of the state. MP is the only state in the country where the CSCs are viable and the Portal is running successfully.MPOnline has added employees in FY 10-11 taking its total strength to 70, in addition to the 11 associates from TCS. MPOnline has one of the best offices in Bhopal spread over 6000 sq. feet and had taken an additional space of 5000 sq. feet adjutant to the current office, in which the renovation work will start soon. The MPOnline infrastructure has been enhanced for increased processing and storage capability that lets us cater to high volume services. Our infrastructure now includes multiple high-end hex-core servers with 64 GB RAM, increased bandwidth of 45 MBPS link with a 16 MBPS back-up link and two fully functional SAN storage networks.
Why was the project started :
Purpose of the initiative : A move from Citizen in line to Citizen online The State of MP recognizes the importance of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) as a key enabler in its economic development and improving the quality of life of citizen of Madhya Pradesh. Accordingly, the State has prepared its E-GOV policy with a vision of establishing an information society consisting of informed, active and therefore responsible citizens â€“ the basic tenet of a true democracy. With the help of the portal, citizens can avail of the government services such as filling forms for professional examination board, applying for birth/death/caste certificates etc. and can avail the facilities provided by government/ private sector without queuing at offices. These services can be availed by citizens through authorised kiosks of MPOnline, Common Service Centres (CSCs) integrated with MPOnline, cyber cafes and via the internet from the comfort of their homes.
To provide one-stop shop services to all the citizens of MP, any service, anywhere, and any time. As a part of its e-Governance initiative, the Government of Madhya Pradesh (GoMP), India has launched its online citizen services portal called MPOnline. The portal was developed by MPOnline Limited, a joint venture between GoMP and TATA Consultancy Services Limited (TCS) that is mandated with delivering G2C and B2C services to the common man via its portal https://www.mponline.gov.in. The MPOnline project has realized the vision of the government to provide government services at the doorsteps of citizens and businesses. During the relatively short term since its establishment, the benefits of the project have penetrated deep into the urban as well as rural areas, and deliver a very wide spectrum of services. MPOnline is an acronym for â€˜MP Online Information for Citizen Empowermentâ€™. MPOnline Limited was formed in 2006 and the first services were delivered by the Portal in 2007.
Target group : The beneficiaries of the project are citizens, commercial organizations and Government Departments.The MPOnline Portal hosts a number of services which caters to various age groups and are utilised by the citizens of the State and the entire Country at large. By and large, we cover three main aspects of services- Education, Recruitment and Business to Citizen services.Starting from the application for a birth certificate through Municipal Corporation to applying for X and XII Exams from MP Board of Secondary Education, a citizen applying for a Professional examination like PET, PPT etc. through Professional examination Board and MPPSC Service Exams.MPOnline also has number of services for the rural citizens like wheat procurement, Applying Temporary Agriculture connections for farmers, Applications fro Private X and XII Board exams through MP Board of Secondary Education.A host of Business to citizen services like applying and renewal of Driving license through MP Transport Authority, Volvo Bus Booking and Forest and National Parks Excursion through MP Tourism and Eco tourism Board, Life Insurance Premium Payments, Mobile and Land line Bill payments, Electricity bill payments facility is available at the click of a mouse at the Portal.The Portal is all the more popular for the ease of mode of payments available through Internet banking, Credit/ debit Card and through any of the 8,100 kiosk network spread across the state for convenience.
Geographical reach : The USP of MPOnline Portal lies in the widespread coverage of kiosks and CSCs across the State of MP from urban areas and right upto the Gram Panchayat level, providing number of rural services to the villagers at their door step. The MPOnline project has realized the vision of the government to provide government services at the doorsteps of citizens and businesses. During the relatively short term since its establishment, the benefits of the project have penetrated deep into the urban as well as rural areas, and deliver a very wide spectrum of services. The success of the MPOnline Project is amply demonstrated by its reach within the state, the breadth of services offered, the confidence of government departments in the portal to increasingly offer services exclusively through MPOnline and the ever increasing number of citizens accessing the portal to avail services.Currently, MPOnline services are being delivered through 1800+ kiosks and 6000+ Common Service Centres (CSCs) established under GoMPâ€™s eGovernance initiative. MPOnline has presence in all 50 districts, over 300 tehsils and 280+ blocks of Madhya Pradesh. Madhya Pradesh is the only State where the CSCs are financially viable.Apart from MPOnline, four Service Centre Agencies (SCAs) have been identified by the GoMP to set up CSCs. These SCAs are AISECT, Reliance, CMS and NICT.
Date from which the project became operational : 11 July 2006
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Anywhere, anytime delivery of Government services
- A shift from â€˜Citizen In-Lineâ€™ to â€˜Citizen On-Lineâ€™
- Reduction in delays in decision-making and costs incurred by the department.
- Reduction in the number of intermediaries and increased transparency between the Government & citizens
- An opportunity for generating gainful employment by setting up a kiosk network
- No investment in infrastructure and no cost to any Government department.
- Citizen Empowerment
- Availability of 24×7 online Government Services.
- Improved the efficiency and efficacy of Government Officers
- Drastically reduced the application processing time and waiting time and Instant MIS reports for planning, budgeting, monitoring & evaluation
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- National Awards for e-Governance â€“ Golden Peacock Award 2010 for Citizen-Centric Services
- Editors Choice Best Website India e governance 2.0 (Year 2010)
- CSI Nihilent e- Governance for Excellence 2009-10
- SKOCH Digital Inclusion National Award for Technology in Service Delivery.
- Best IT for Masses Projectâ€™ of Madhya Pradesh 2009-10
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative :
- Capacity building -To address the challenge of lack of trained IT manpower, MPOnline offers a BOOT model, to provide full infrastructure and manpower support for the design, implementation and support needs of the client by conducting training, hand holding sessions.
- Capacity Building â€“ Government Involvement and training of the officials who actually deal with the services on a day-to-day basis to increase their involvement.
- Capacity Building – citizens: Increasing awareness of services and empowering citizens by effectively using tools like Internet, cable TV and radio.
- Capacity Building â€“ Service Delivery at Kiosks: India faces challenge of lack of computer literacy of the citizens. Until the Digital Divide is bridged, kiosk operators are being used under the â€˜Assisted Accessâ€™ model.
- Building Trust Involve the government stakeholders of MPOnline right from requirement gathering, rate fixing, implementation and to the monitoring stages of the services.
List the 5 points how can the programme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- The knowledge and experience gained by the successful implementation of the MPOnline project can easily be ported across to any other state of the country, and even to the creation of a IndiaOnline portal.
- Based on MPOnline, TCS has launched MahaOnline in Maharashtra this year. Similarly, discussions are on for the replication of this model in Bihar, UP and Chhatisgarh.
- Integrity and Transparency in Government
- Passion for the State
- Collaboration and Public Private Partnerships
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative :
- Sustainability of the initiative: The project is being implemented on a Public Private Partnership mode adopting a Build-Own-Operate (BOO) model. As per the Cabinet mandate given to MPOnline, all revenue is to be earned via a User Pay Model in which users pay for the services availed via the MPOnline portal.As MPOnline does not charge any fee from the department for which the service has been developed .
- Sustainability of the Delivery Network: MP has the proud distinction of being a the only state where CSCs are viable. MPOnline shares 60% of its per transaction fee with kiosk and CSC operators.
- Organizational Sustainability The project team has grown several folds over the last three years as the number of services has grown. Similarly, the strength of the customer care team has increased to keep in step with the increase in number of citizens using the portal.
- Integartion with cscs
- Service delivery through Kiosks, direct citizens.