Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/165
Project Category : eGov::Best Government to Government Initiative of the Year
Project Name : Online Answering Information System for Assembly Questions
Details of Applicant :
Name : Chandan Sen
Address : National Informatics Centre, District Unit Collectorate Campus Bundi Rajasthan
City : Bundi
State : Rajasthan
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 323001
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : National Informatics Centre
Address : National Informatics Centre, District Unit,Collectorate Campus ,Bundi Rajasthan
City : Bundi
State : Rajasthan
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 323001
Name of the head of Organisation : State Informatics Officer
Website : http://rajassembly.nic.in/
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
The Project called OASIS (Online Answering Information System) has been initiated for Rajasthan Legislative Assembly and all the departments of Rajasthan Government to facilitate faster & secure communication pertaining to Assembly Questions.
Why was the project started :
This is an eco-friendly solution as it results in savings of more than 10 million paper sheets every year. It is first such application ever deployed by any legislative assembly. All answers received through the system are also accessible through the web portal of Legislative Assembly immediately after the Question Hour. The detailed replies can instantly be viewed by media or any citizen.
The Project called OASIS (Online Answering Information System) has been initiated for Rajasthan Legislative Assembly and all the departments of Rajasthan Government to facilitate faster & secure communication pertaining to Assembly Questions. This is an eco-friendly solution as it results in savings of more than 10 million paper sheets every year. It is first such application ever deployed by any legislative assembly. All answers received through the system are also accessible through the web portal of Legislative Assembly immediately after the Question Hour. The detailed replies can instantly be viewed by media or any citizen.
Target group : Members of Rajasthan Legislative Assembly and all the departments of Rajasthan Government
Geographical reach : Rajasthan State
Date from which the project became operational : 3 February 2010
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Ensuring timely replies to the questions raised by Honâ€™ble members in a legislative assembly has always been a challenge for the Assembly Secretariat as well as for all the government departments. The entire process of sending Assembly questions to the government departments and receiving the answers back at the Assembly Secretariat is such that there is extreme amount of pressure at all levels.
- Lot of efforts are deployed in ensuring that Questions are received by the concerned department in time so that sufficient margin is available to prepare the reply. Generally a time span of only 8-10 days is available with the concerned department to capture all facts and details from the field offices and to prepare a reply that can be submitted to the Assembly Secretariat. For Questions which are listed in the house, delay of even a single day can not be afforded. Thus every single day is critical from the day when question notice is sent to the department by the Assembly Secretariat till the receipt of reply.
- There are instances when a question may be wrongly sent to a department to which it does not pertain. In such a situation there is loss of critical time for the department to which the question notice would finally be shifted. This department is left with very little time for preparation of the reply.
- What is also important is the fact that every reply is prepared in 120 copies. This consumes lot of paper stationery and requires lot of efforts in preparation of such large number of copies. On the part of Assembly Secretariat, it is a gigantic task to manage 120 copies for each of the 8000 questions. At times the volumes are almost unmanageable. Roughly 10 million paper sheets are consumed in sending replies to Assembly Questions. This essentially has an impact on the eco-system as production of such large number of paper sheets takes the toll of many trees.
- OASIS, which is a web based system, addresses all these challenges. As soon as a question is admitted in the Assembly secretariat, it is made available to the concerned department through the portal of Legislative Assembly.
- Information related to Assembly Questions and their answers is very sensitive and should not be made public until it is tabled in the house. As per legislative processes, during dissemination of Question notices and receipt of replies confidentiality is of utmost importance. OASIS is a highly secure application which uses Digital signatures based authentication to ensure confidentiality of information for communication between government departments and the Assembly Secretariat.
- Parts of the system are deployed in a highly secure environment using Digital signature based authentication for communication between the government from anywhere in the state and the Legislative Assembly. However the system also facilitates broadcast of information public domain as per the legislative processes.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- The system is integrated with the processes of Assembly Questions of RLA on a real time basis. This results in immediate dissemination of information of Assembly questions to the government and thus allows more time to the government for preparation of answers.
- It Eliminates efforts for sending notices on the part of Assembly and eliminates delays in receiving the notices on the part of the government.
- Â An inherent process facilitates online monitoring of pending questions by every department.
- Â The system provides ability to all the departments to retrieve and view the replies filed in the past beginning from the date of implementation of the system.
- Â The system is expected to result in huge savings of stationary. It is expected that about 10 Million paper sheets would be saved every year as a result of implementation of the system. 6. Honâ€™ble Members, citizens, media, research scholars etc. can get desired information online regarding questions. 7. This is a secured application, protected by user authentication through digital signatures. 8. User interface is in the Local Language HINDI.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/iniative :
- Implementation of any new process in a legislative assembly is a major challenge. Previous instances of implementation or adoption of processes is necessary looked into at any of the legislative assembly or the parliament. However OASIS being the first application of its kind for any legislative assembly, The Rajasthan Assembly had to take decision to initiate such a process as first time ever. In house test runs were conducted. Product presentations were made to the Honâ€™ble Speaker of the Assembly and senior officials of the state government who found the product to be very useful and hence a decision to implement the same was taken.
- Familiarity with digital signature based applications in the Rajasthan Government was very less. As such have users were made to obtain digital signatures. Necessary training was provided for all concerned. High availability of the system was also essential. The system required integration of all the in house processes of Questions Branch of Assembly with the processes adopted in the OASIS.
- Since the entire process is very sensitive, it was a major task to build confidence in the concerned officials of Rajasthan Assembly Secretariat as well as the State Government officials. Online technical support was extended to all the departments for implementation of the system.
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- The process of Assembly Questions and Answers is more or less the same for all Legislative Assemblies across the country as well as for the Parliament. As such with very little customization the product can be replicated for all other State Legislative Assemblies.
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative :
- OASIS is a web based product and is available to the users on 24 x 7 basis. Users from different government departments are first registered online through the OASIS registration module along with their digital signatures. These users are subsequently authorized through the system for using OASIS. Practically, there is no limitation or restriction on number of users who can access the system. New departments and new users can be added at any time.