Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/248
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best Open and Distance Learning Practices in Higher Education
Project Name : ONLINE CAMPUS
Details of Applicant
Name : C A Anantha
Address : #48, 1st Main, 2nd Block, 3rd Stage Basaveshwarnagar
City : Bangalore
State : Karnataka
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 560079
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : APEX Foundation
Address : #48, 1st Main, 2nd Block, ,3rd Stage,Basaveshwarnagar
City : Bangalore
State : Karnataka
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 560079
Name of the head of Organisation : Prof. Dhanwant Singh
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
ONLINE CAMPUS is an initiative to provide quality online education & distance learning solutions to the working professionals, and to multi-location companies with geographically dispersed work force, through the strategic academic alliances with the UGC Recognised Universities, using the state-of-the- art synchronous learning technologies at the core. Having designed and used Synchronous Learning technologies for many years, APEX Foundation has built around this technology a unique learning methodology and student experience that includes the best features of conventional classroom education coupled with advanced e-learning and learning management techniques. Objective of the program: â€¢ To offer a comprehensive portfolio of programs for working professionals through centres across the country to overcome their constraints of mobility and time, and facilitating access to world-class Distance Education delivered through ONLINE CAMPUS state-of-the-art learning facility.
Why was the project started :
This initiative was in direct response to these challenges:
1. Paucity of quality education especially targeted towards working professionals
2. To enable working professionals access quality education from UGC Recognised Universities without leaving the job, or shifting the location
3. To address the need of the corporate to train & up skill their employees scattered over geographic regions at the same time, through the use of technology
4. To provide Customized skill & Distance Education programs to the working professional & corporate alike, delivered across all the multi locations in scattered geographies in real time.
To offer a comprehensive portfolio of programs for working professionals through centres across the country to overcome their constraints of mobility and time, and facilitating access to world-class Distance Education delivered through ONLINE CAMPUS state-of-the-art learning facility.
Target group :Working Professionals
Geographical reach :WORLD
Date from which the project became operational :25 January 2008
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Â Innovation at classroom: Classroom without taking the actual pain of going into the campus, including the facilities of raising real time query, peer interaction across cities, case discussion, and other innovative interactive features like anonymous asking of questions, anonymous polling to give feedback to the faculty, online quiz etc. are used extensively in the classrooms.
- Innovation in pedagogy: Blended learning approach- Real-time synchronous learning is blended with e-learning to give real-time classroom experience as well as 24 by 7 learning administration access. Pedagogy is same/very close to a normal classroom on-campus.
- Innovation in Content: Introduction of first of its kind contemporary industry-driven relevant courses like MBA in 50 specializations.
- Innovation in scheduling: Provision for Student Flexibilities appropriate for working professionals like Transit facility, Online on Demand Examination and Recorded Video Lectures.
- Innovation in delivery process: This is the first time an Education Organisation and not a data communication service provider has introduced this technology for distance education. Delivered through APEXâ€™s innovative state-of the-art â€œSynchronous Learning Platform (eCampus)â€ that delivers classes across the country, aiding to our countrywide presence.
- Innovation in Collaboration: Tie ups with the UGC recognised Universities like The Global Open University, Annamalai University, Manonmaniam Sundaranar University and CMJ University.
- Innovation in engagement model: The teaching-learning methodology is comprehensively supported by APEX Learning Management System (LMS). This online web-based system offers various conveniences for students and faculty which include â€“ supplementary e-learning, academic & personal records, program-specific notices & instructions, online submission of assignments, calendar & reminder services, online testing, and monitoring of student-performance, class-participation & attendance.
- The participants also get the opportunity to experience the campus life as it an important part of the curriculum.
- APEX being Indiaâ€™s largest Distance Education Organisation, has for the first time forayed into online education thereby adding a new customer segment of working professionals. And leveraged the after expertise of over 15 years in the design and management of distributed education.
- Aiding & assisting the access job-oriented, industry relevant courses.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Â Enrolled more than 8600 students including 6700 working professionals leading organizations, in span of 3 years
- Expanded our portfolio of offered courses by continuously adding relevant & industry accepted courses, and also expanding the number of skills development courses on offer. (e.g. : From 25 courses in 2008 to more than 240 courses presently)
- Enhanced the reach from 8 locations to more than 30weq0 locations in three years leading to nationwide presence.
- eCampus learning management software win the World Education Summit 2011 award.
- Met the multi-location training needs of multinational corporations through customized programs and setting up technology classrooms in the corporate premises, not only in India but going global by setting up a classroom.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- Corporate Acceptance: There is a burning need to improve the reach & productivity of existing educational institution so that the working professionals are not deprived of a high quality education experience. Using the recent advances in technology, the synchronous learning technology was chosen to take quality education from an expert faculty to a larger audience spread over different locations
- Effective pedagogy: To implement the case-study methodology and the pedagogy used by premier institutes over the technology platform was a challenge. This was addressed successfully by incorporating collaborative learning techniques like public chat, email to faculty, white board, break out rooms etc.
- Maintaining the rigor & standard: To ensure that the quality of the participants joining the courses matches the standards and rigor of premier institutes. This is ensured by applying multiple stages of scrutiny where a candidate has to go through various stages like academic and experience background, aptitude, motivation etc. based on which the selection to a particular course is done.
- Replicating the Student Experience: To adapt the mode of instruction on technology to traditional Indian instructor-led classroom environment. To overcome this, features like training classes, anonymous asking of questions, anonymous polling to give feedback to the faculty, online quiz etc. are used extensively in the classrooms.
- Overcoming the fear of technology: To convince the working professionals that the rigor & standard of premium education would be maintained and wonâ€™t get diluted or distorted when the content is delivered through technology. These fears of using the technology were overcome by taking them through demo sessions before they enroll for a program. Also, the collaborative learning management system (LMS) implemented ensures that the participants are connected to each other and to the faculty 24X7.
List the 5 points how can the programme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Use of technology like SLT to provide online education.
- Availability of the LMS, 24X7 for the participants
- Design customized programs for working professionals and corporate keeping in mind their specific needs
- Ensuring the quality of education by tie-ups with premier institutions
- Availability of a bouquet of programs to meet the needs of working professionals from diverse backgrounds
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative
- Currently the presence of Online Campus centers is in 300 locations across the country. Since the technology uses internet based communication, the presence can be expanded to any number of cities based on the market demand.
- There is no upper limit on the number of students that can be taught through the SLT mode as compared to a conventional classroom. E.g. one of the programs has 225 students attending the course at the same time.
- Presently we are only targeting executive & computer education, which could be extended to other fields of education too like Medical, Law etc.
- At present Online Campus has alliances with seven UGC recognised in India. Opportunities to set up alliances with other national institutes, corporations as well as international institutions are being explored.
- Now the Students are happy with user friendly technology and with the latest tread of Internet on Mobile, Students can access the study materials, assignments, announcements instantly. This had made the Adult students time management comfortable.