Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/155
Project Category : eGov::Best Urban ICT Initiative of the year
Project Name : SERVICE LEVEL BENCHMARKING
Details of Applicant :
Name : SRI. M.S. RAVISHANKAR, I.A.S., COMMISSIONER .
Address : Directorate of Municipal Administration, 9th floor, V.V Tower (main), Dr.Ambedkar Veedhi,
City : BANGALORE
State : KARNATAKA
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 560001
Details of Project/Implementing Agency :
Name of Organisation : MUNICIPAL REFORMS CELL
Address : 1-4, 6th Floor, IT Park, ,Rajajinagar Industrial Estate,,Rajajinagar
City : BANGALORE
State : KARNATAKA
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 560010
Name of the head of Organisation : Dr. N. SHIVASHANKARA, K.A.S.
Website : www.mrc.gov.in
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
The State of Karnatakaâ€™s rapid economy growth in the last two decades has been accompanied by the increased levels of urbanization. The Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) are under immense pressure and strain to meet the raising levels of demands and aspirations of their citizens in a qualitative, cost effective and sustainable manner . To fulfill the growing requirement the ULBs are encountering number of issues and problems resulting in undesirable levels of service delivery and insufficient utilization of available resources; largely due to information gaps, inadequate resource mobilization and lack of effective monitoring. Hence, there was a need of an effective tool, for determining the efficacy, cost-effectiveness, timeliness of services, and suggest corrective actions to improve performance. Keeping the above scenario in mind, the Directorate of Municipal Administration (DMA), Karnataka, took an initiative to build a common platform which could ease out the tracking and management aspects of various sectors in ULBs.
Why was the project started :
The Municipalities have been vested with certain obligatory functions and the government through Directorate of Municipal Administration supervises the functioning of the municipalities, collects municipal data and prepares its statistics; inspects and interacts with both elected representatives and employees to find out their specific problems and work out the solutions manually. However, Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) were also making sincere efforts to control and solve the problems in various services and thereby improve the efficiency of delivery systems to the citizens. In the absence of proper statistics and defined standards for various service deliveries, the ULBs were facing constraints in further improving the system. Apart from the above, DMA had to measure the level of resources mobilized in municipalities and utilized in optimal manner. To monitor the outcome of financial investments of the ULBs in water supply and sanitation, the DMA had to manually collect the information from individual municipalities and compile it to compare the efficiency levels of the urban local bodies (ULBs). However, there was no specific tool, nor a proper monitoring system to do the comparison of functioning and efficiency level of the ULBs in a scientific manner. To overcome such difficulties, there was a need for development of sophisticated and scientific online monitoring system for improvised governance.
Tulana is a web-based online tool which enables performance measurement, assists in analyzing trends, reflect trends; and also provide quantitative and qualitative information.
Target group : Administrators for Urban Local Bodies, Local Populace and Stake Holders of ULBs.
Geographical reach : 213 ULBs have been monitored under SLB. Benchmarking tool enables performance measurement, assist in analyzing trends, impacts of policies, reflect developmental trends; and also provide quantitative and qualitative information.
Date from which the project became operational : 16 November 2009
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Web based application. Facility to capture the data online from all 213 ULBs.
- Inbuilt data validation. Facility to generate the data reports.
- Data entry updation status report for monitoring.
- Inbuilt indicator formula. Automated ranking generation based on indicator results.
- Every sector and indicator has been assigned with fixed weightages based on the priorities and essential service.
- Evaluation scale has been derived against individual indicator.
- The indicator value will be compared to the evaluation scale and the score will be assigned.
- Based on this scoring the ULBs would be ranked in comparison to others.
- Also the score can be compared and analyzed with the standard benchmark to know their service delivery levels.
- There are two frequencies of data capturing i.e. quarterly and annually.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Tulana now provides the mechanisms by which the ULB knows if it is achieving its objectives as the online application transforms data into information useful in decision making.
- Outputs that can be measured. A monitoring mechanism that measures the output. A comparison mechanism & Targets against which to compare
- A monitoring mechanism that produces information on the output that is accurate, timely, relevant and complete.
- This system will generate online real time reports at ULB, District and DMA-level in all categories i.e. CC, CMC, TMC and TP for every quarter and annually.
- Tulana attempts to integrate the decision maker, the data base, and the quantitative implementation models being used for service delivery at the ULB.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative :
- Gathering Information from ULBâ€™s â€“ Circulars & orders by DMA to ULB for collecting the information
- Non availability of the information at the ULB itself â€“ ULBs were given time to do real work and collect the information
- Lack of technical support â€“ IT staff recruitment
- Lack of upgraded datacenter for storing the data â€“ Datacentre upgration in MRC
- No Accurate Data – Inbuilt validation to highlight the anomalies in each sector
List the 5 points how can the programme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- The Directorate of Municipal Administration, Government of Karnataka has already taken laudable initiative in making the system robust by establishing a society.
- This application is currently being reviewed by the Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India (MoUD) on the feasibility for rolling out to other statesâ€™ Urban Local Bodies post customization.
- It is State-wide implementation following an internet based centralized approach in terms of software applications and server infrastructure. This dramatically reduces the total cost of ownership both in terms of hardware and also in terms of software maintenance and releases.
- Process re-engineering and standardization of operating procedures across the state has had a huge benefit of standardizing the processes across all the municipal bodies in the state.
- Investment in capacity building is one of the most important determinants of success in any e-governance initiative. The necessary institutional arrangements can go a long way in creating accountability and ownership for e-governance implementations, which span across several years.
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative :
- One of the major focus areas for the project right from the start was, to create a scalable platform that could be rolled out across the state, covering all 213 ULBs.
- Central Architecture is cheaper, due to economies of scale. The number of servers and other hardware needed to operate 213 municipalities from one location is much lower than implementing a server solution in each city. The same applies to network, hardware, software as well as most importantly to citizens.
- Centralizing also allows standardization of formats and processes that automatically drive economies of scale.
- Every ULB has been made responsible for the data that they provide and also for their next budgeting.
- A Service Level Benchmarking Website www.karbenchmarking.gov.in has also been developed which acts as a gateway for accessing the application;
Documents publishing URL :