Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/290
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled School of the Year
Project Name : Shree Sharada Vidhyalaya ICT enabled School by Extramarks
Details of Applicant
Name : Rohit Jain
Address : D 180 Sector 63 Noida UP 201301
City : Noida
State : UP
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 201301
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Extramarks Education Private Limited
Address : D 180 Sector 63,Noida UP 201301,
City : Noida
State : UP
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 201301
Name of the head of Organisation : Atul Kulshrestha
Website : www.extramarks.com
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
Shree Sharada Vidhyalaya is a school run by Shree Shankara group in Angamaly, a small town in Kerala. The school stood out for its quality education. However, the management of the school always wanted to give the students an edge by providing them the latest in education and technology. However, located in a small district in the interiors of the country â€“ itâ€™s not very easy to materialise the vision. There was geographical, economic, infrastructure, adaption challenges â€“ that it to say â€“ challenges at every level. The students and the teachers wanted technology but were at the same time intimidated by it. The school authorities wanted the best in the school â€“ but there were services, sustenance challenges. Needless to say â€“ a particular vision which is guarded by constraints on budget â€“ more so â€“ for a school run by funds. However, the school collaborated with Extramarks Education Private Limited and brought technology into everyday learning, inside the classroom for every teacher and student. The school has approx 53 classrooms and today each and every classroom is technology enabled. The teachers and students learn from latest technological tools in every school period, thereby, bringing the latest learning in their everyday life
Why was the project started :
Project was started to bring quality education to the students of the Anagamaly in Kerala. The management did not want the students to miss out on the global standards only because of the geographical or economic challenges. It was a combined vision of the school heads to bring the best to their students to make them competitive in todayâ€™s challenging environment.
To empower the students and teachers to step in with the latest technology and facilitate them in becoming the learning leaders.
Target group :
Students and teachers from K-12 with many in them who had not have ever touched a computer in their lifetime
Geographical reach :
Angamaly village in Kerala
Date from which the project became operational :
1 October 2010
Is the Project still operational :
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Implementation: due to the unique constructions of the classrooms with high ceilings, open classrooms – Extramarks team had to really work out a project flow for implementation in the school
- Extramarks (EM) technology solutions allow no fear of technology. Knowing that there are teachers who had not even touched a computer in their lives â€“ the systems start and usage produced no complexity for the teachers.
- Extramarks content flows in an easy to learn format. The teachers could integrate it in their everyday learning pattern. Therefore the systems are not being used only for cosmetic purpose but the teaching learning has become integral part of lives
- Bringing the latest learning tools like Mindmaps â€“ the best learning tool in the world to the Indian classrooms
- Providing CCE report card support software to the teachers which helped them ease their work and give more emphasis on education.
- Giving practical solutions rather than making a place convert into something that the teachers and the students would hesitate to work. The best systems are where one doesnâ€™t notice the technology yet it functions â€“ thats the best way it was done in this school.
- Seamless integration into the systems â€“ where the adoption became easy. Today the teachers claim that they cannot teach without Extramarks and wonder how they ever did a year before.
- Training â€“ the training by Extramarks was well thought and planned ahead in coordination with the Principal and the Head academics â€“ as they made Extramarks team aware about the challenges when it would come to computers and digital new platforms. The teachers were led through step by step induction where it became interesting for them to familiarise themselves with new systems.
- Security of the systems: again was a simple one lock and key system through which entire system would be locked.
- Continuous usage: As we know â€“ every project takes off well in start â€“ what matters is its sustenance â€“ so Sharada started with 48 classrooms and had 53 in school â€“ in 6 months the teachers wanted even the staffrooms to be digital and have the new facilities. So today all the classrooms are equipped where the teachers can log in to their lesson plans.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Easy and smooth transition from old system to new
- Adoption not only in the start of the project but sustenance over a period of time with good response to the program
- Sharada school scored the best results for their district in last academic year
- Opening up avenues for the teachers and the students: today students and teachers interact actively interact with Extramarks and make the content richer for the classrooms
- Training and retraining for the teachers
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- Room Constructions and School Infrastructure with classrooms in different blocks
- Non familiarisation of the technology by students and teachers
- Material Transportation to the location
- Labour – Specialists from Delhi had to travel to Kerala to facilitate implementation
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Technology Infrastructure: understanding the unique requirements of the school and providing solutions accordingly
- Content: that is user friendly and used in everyday classroom
- CCE support to help the teachers ease their work
- Training of the teachers to be future ready
- Students engagement – to facilitate such programs successfully
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programe/project/initiative
- The school started with 48 classrooms and has now extended to 53, thereby enabling every class in the school
- Students become more technology oriented and help understand the platforms of technology
- More Schools in the nearby areas got inspired. in fact school owners from all districts visited the school to understand the operations
- In Shankara Group also – many schools have started orienting themselves this adoption of technology. The initial challenges make them take small steps, but they are moving towards achieving a tech school.
- The next step with Extramarks team is to bring after school study support actively too with the students. The platform is ready with the team and is successful in metros but to make the parents involve in Angamaly is the next step that the school and the team is working together.
Documents publishing URL :