Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/203
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best Use of Technology for Teaching Learning Practices in Schools
Project Name : Technology Labs for Math and Science
Details of Applicant
Name : Babita Khanna
Address : 85, Institutional Area, Sector 32
City : Gurgaon
State : Haryana
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 122001
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : NIIT Limited – School Learning Solutions
Address : 85, Institutional Area, Sector 32,,
City : Gurgaon
State : Haryana
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 122001
Name of the head of Organisation : Hemant Sethi
Website : www.niitnguru.com
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
The interactive Classrooms solution caters to all classes and all subjects in order to cater to the needs of the different types of learners by providing them with multi-sensory inputs. Integration of Rich ICT Tools into classrooms in all subjects to enable better grasping and retention of concepts.
Why was the project started :
National Curriculum Framework (NCF) has provided guidelines that focus the process of learning on the construction of knowledge rather than memory based short term information accumulation. Implementation of these guidelines, however, is a challenge. NIIT has taken the initiative of developing a comprehensive solution to facilitate the implementation of the NCF 2005 guidelines using ICT tools to transform the education ecosystem and to benefit every stakeholder – management, teachers, students, parents; especially in the areas of teaching and learning Math and Science. CBSE went one step forward in implementing the NCF recommendation by introducing Mathematic lab in its affiliated schools with the objectives mentioned below and the Board has already published detailed guidelines for Mathematical Laboratory in schools for classes IX and X including hands-on activities to be done during these academic years.
- Making teaching and learning of the subject interactive, participatory, fun filling and joyful from primary stage of schooling.
- Strengthening the learning of mathematical concepts through concrete materials and hands-on-experiences.Relating classroom learning to real life situations and discourage rote and mechanical learning. The conventional methods of teaching and learning Science posed huge challenges both for teachers and students alike. The project was started to make science learning more joyful, interactive and interesting keeping in mind the following problem areas:
- Large time gap between theory and practical
- Learning only theory makes Science Subject boring
- Pace of learning differs. Focus generally on the average learners rather than on fast or slow ones.
- Access to content in the classroom beyond the text book is difficult .
- Little correlation of concepts taught in class to real life . Thus the project was started to bring in classroom the joy of learning math and science.
The objectives of Math and Science Lab are as follows:
- Explore, reflect and interpret ideas presented through a variety of media;
- Display intellectual curiosity and initiative to acquire, process and interpret information;
- Use variety of strategies and perspectives in solving problems individually and collaboratively;
- Frame and test hypothesis, identify, describe, formulate and reformulate problems;
- Describe and interpret difficult point of views and distinguish facts from opinions;
- Function as individualized and peer learning centres for the purpose of discovery, enrichment, remedial and reinforcement;
- Engage themselves in learning math easily regardless of the curriculum;
- Make learning or Math and Science easier and interactive;
- Construct student understanding based on observations and evidence
- It encourages students to think by interpreting observed events, rather than memorizing correct responses;
- Since Mobile Science Lab is portable, teachers can easily explain the concepts in live environments along with the theory.
Target group : Math: Classes from 3 to 10; Science: Classes from 6 to 10
Geographical reach : India, Bhutan and South Africa
Date from which the project became operational : 16 May 2007
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Create a proper ambience for Math in which the teachers can foster individualized and peer learning through tools that would enable collaboration
- Teaching-learning material based on multimedia content provided for 480+ activities in Math; Help Videos are provided wherever appropriate; 210+ experiments in Science; Teachers can easily explain and demonstrate many abstract concepts ; Teacherâ€™s Guides enhances the teacherâ€™s efficiency in teaching math and Science
- : Uses the state-of-the-art math visualizing software version of Geometerâ€™s Sketchpad (GSP), a very effective math tool that allows learners to dynamically construct, demonstrate and explore; adding powerful new dimensions to learning of math; Students can construct geometrical figures and explore the mathematical properties by interacting with the tools
- Built-in MultiLog PRO that can support as many as 50 different types of science sensors as well as other software that supports curriculum and would enhance the joy of learning Science.
- The program would foster mathematical awareness, skill building, positive attitudes and learning by doing; Learning concepts using concrete objects; Verify math facts and properties using models, measurement and activities. Since learners learn through activity-based learning it is easier to enable CCE.
- Addressing the current issues in science education which emphasizes the need for introducing technology.
- Light, Portable and rugged data logging device made available for Mobile Science Lab that is easy to carry anywhere be it in the class or for educational trips.
- Examining and analyzing everyday experiences, outdoor projects, constructing knowledge, and discovery-based learning.
- Data logging and setup is very easy and time-saving giving the student more time to do analysis, inference and critical thinking.
- State-of-the-art ambience and infrastructure in the form of content on servers and scientific sensors that convert the analog information into appropriate digital form are provided to the labs to make the learning experience engaging and helps to implement collaborative classrooms. Along with this, laptops/netbooks provides mobility & flexibility to teachers.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- The use of the appropriate (age and subject) Instructional Design (ID) and interactive technologies has ensured better student engagement, and facilitates a shift away from a complete rote based system of teaching and learning.
- The imagination of plurality of combining real-life applications, fascinating facts, historical aspects, misconceptions, etc. that are related to the Math and Science concepts, enables the class to go beyond textbooks and connect knowledge to life outside the school.
- Help in Individual attention, introduction to new types of pedagogy like activities-based learning, Project Based Learning
- One-Stop Solution for Setting up Math Lab as prescribed by NCERT, as well as combines the technology-enabled Science Education
- Foster mathematical and scientific awareness, skill building, positive attitudes and learning by doing, which has enabled the project to be implemented in many schools in India, which had been an inspiration to be implemented in hundreds of schools in Bhutan and South Africa as well.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- Since Math Lab and technology-aided Science Lab is a new concept, there was slight resistance from principals and school management as they also had the belief that traditional science laboratory can teach students about experiments, but NGuru products showed them how the students can benefit by using these solutions which can be used anywhere and anytime to perform experiments.
- The perception was that the solution requires the users to be tech savvy. However, the proactively conducted comprehensive training that was given to the teachers made sure that they enjoy better learner attention and control over class as well as introducing the collaborative peer-learning amongst students.
- An techno pedagogic alignment moving from traditional practices to newer practices was initiated. This is subtle change management process, supported by our trained academic advisors.
- Teachers and students required understanding of the manipulative kits, equipment and using the probes, so we gave enough demos of the solution to ease them.
- Once the better academic results are achieved in certain schools; as well as the impact study on various parameters were conducted and this has been communicated to other institutions, the acceptance for the Technology Enabled models for teaching and learning Math and Science for their learners.
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Teachers have successfully adopted the solutions and are being used in many schools in India, Bhutan and South Africa effectively.
- As the solution is convenient to all children, they can buy and learn scientific concepts at home.
- As the Solution is activity-based, it can be used by any kind of learning environment and by any user/Education Board.
- The educational institutions that want to transform the way in which Math and Science is learnt can implement these technological aids to enhance the learning outcomes
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programe/project/initiative
- Our Academic Advisors are present in many cities and towns in India to help the principals and subject teachers implementing the solutions in their schools.
- The Technology Enabled Math and Science Labs come with complete set of educational software, manuals and activity sheets. Therefore teachers can refer them for teaching math, physics, chemistry, biology and environmental sciences, even for the higher classes.
- It comes with more than 480 math activities and 200 science experiments which are mapped to NCERT syllabus. Hence can be used by all Education Boards as well.
- As the equipment is Portable it can be used by Students to learn Math and Science at home as well
- The equipment can also be used by Students in higher education as reference materials.
Documents publishing URL :