Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/245
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled University of the Year
Project Name : Virtual Learning Resource Centre and Digital Library (VLRC&DL)
Details of Applicant
Name : Rudrayya Basayya Gaddagimath
Address : Gulbarga University
City : Gulbarga
State : Karnataka
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 585106
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Gulbarga University Library
Address : Gulbarga University,,
City : Gulbarga
State : Karnataka
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 585106
Name of the head of Organisation : Prof. E.T. Puttaiah, Vice Chancellor, Gulbarga University, Gulbarga-585106, Karnataka
Website : www.guglibrary.net
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
The Virtual Learning Resource Centre & Digital Library at Gulbarga University reflects the Universityâ€™s mission to be a leading â€œLearning Regionâ€ incorporating current state-of-theâ€“art ICT facilities and importance the institution placed upon student centered learning supported by Infosys Foundation, Bangalore has 100+50 workstations, 3 Main frame servers and a CD NAS server provide excellent access to Internet, CD-ROM Databases and e-learning packages using one GBPS leased line for the benefit of students, research scholars and faculty. Users can work on some of the software for data analysis and research results from the LRC and Academic Commons. Assistance provided for e-resources search and downloading and Network Digital printing facility available on a nominal fee. Three units of Workstations in LRC with pleasant interior and air condition provide ideal learning opportunities for students, research scholars and faculty. The LRC has transformed the students learning experience and each student at the VLRC is now at the centre of a learning world can access information by just push of a button with a provision to access these resources remotely and avail videoconferencing facility for academics.
Why was the project started :
Gulbarga University is located in one of the most backward regions of Hyderabad Karnataka. The students pursuing higher studies in PG, PhD and advanced research programs come from rural background and remote areas and are often deprived of access to modern facilities and advances in ICTs. Well trained and skilled graduates, social inquisitive and excellence in education being the challenges of higher education, there was a felt need to establish a modern state-of-the-art facilities incorporating ICTs and advanced systems. Also the world of Library and Information Centers has been witnessing a sea of changes due to development of ICTs, which has not only changed the way information is generated, organized, stored and distributed but more importantly have become indispensable tools for teaching, learning and research and to keep pace with time to meet the expectations of the users, Virtual Learning Resource Centre & Digital Library has been established to accomplish the objectives of universal access unrestricted by time and place in order to harness the ICT for enhancing quality of teaching and research.
- An ideal Learning environment for the students/ research scholars/ teaching faculty to access e-information at one stop point that includes access to UGC Infonet e-journals (10,000 plus) & databases, indigenous databases, institutional repositories, coursewareâ€™s, learning materials, application softwareâ€™s and video-conferencing facilities.
- Train the faculty, students, research scholars, library professionals to develop competencies and lifelong skills to use the ICTs in teaching, learning and research. Also to facilitate acquiring digital literacy, innovative thinking, creativity, sound reasoning, effective communication.
Target group :Registered users of the Library i.e. students/ research scholars/ teaching faculty and non-teaching staff, senior citizens and VIPs. Also student and faculty of affiliated colleges of the university.
Geographical reach : Worldwide
Date from which the project became operational :1 February 2008
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- The State-of-the-Art ICT facilities in Virtual Learning Resource Centre and Digital Library (VLRC&DL) with 100+50 workstations, three Mainframe DELL Servers and CD NAS server with a carpet area of 12,420 sq. feet provides excellent Internet facilities, UGC Infonet e-journals (10,000 plus) and databases, e-books, manuscripts, CD-ROM Databases and e-learning packages using 1 GBPS leased line under NMEICT Project. OPAC using Libsys Client helps to search library resources.
- Provides access to 20 lakh full text e-Books of classic works of literature, science, technology, serials, bibliographies, dictionaries, encyclopedias and other reference works in over 100 languages published by World Public Library Association accessible under network environ.
- Academic Commons i.e. software tools consist of important application softwareâ€™s, e-books CD/DVDs and manuals for academic and research work, data analysis software i.e. SPSS (16.0) provides a platform for independent learning and hands on training on experience required in their respective subject areas.
- Question Point service from OCLC, USA has been rendered as `ASK a Librarianâ€™ @ www.guglibrary.net to answer the queries of any users around the world for want of information.
- Google powered mail server with a provision to create 1500 users to have effective communication informing the latest arrivals and developments to the user community for optimum utilization of resources.
- : 6. Remote Access facility using EZproxy software application enables our registered users to access all the e-Resources from the library server 24X7 irrespective of their locations
- Institutional Repository (IR) covering research publications of the Faculty, e- Thesis and Dissertations, rare manuscripts, question banks and university publications have been digitized using DSpace software and is accessible under campus intranet @ 172.27.102.247:8080/dspace/xmlui.
- Videoconferencing and EduSat Facility has to be a part of Learning resource Centre of the Library provides platform for interactive lectures, demonstrations, educational films and other e-resources for the academics and is used extensively which is IP enabled accessed @ 126.96.36.199.
- Active Directory Users & Computers â€“ Application software built in Windows 2010 Advance server Software is used for proper maintenance. Login and password ensures accountability and to develop usage statistics. VYATTA â€“ router software acts as a firewall and successfully controls the use of academic websites and block unwanted websites in the entire network.
- Paradigm shift in pedagogy, teaching and learning. Learning is enjoyable and self paced.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Â First in Karnataka state and one among a few conventional universities of India to have established Virtual Learning Resource Centre & Digital Library on modern lines that has transformed e-learning and teaching to ensure quality education and build computer culture among user community to access and use e-information.
- Â All the Degree College librarians (500) and Pre-University College librarians (400) in Karnataka state supported by the Government of Karnataka were trained by the Gulbarga University Library in five days rigorous residential training program in different batches on `ICT AND INFORMATION UNIVERSEâ€™. In addition over 6,000 students /Research scholars have been trained in using ICT for learning and research.
- Â OCLC, USA has recognized Gulbarga University for Question-point project in India in addition to Delhi University and Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai.
- Â In recognition of exemplary services, the University library received Dr. Padhya Best University Library Award for 2007-08 instituted by Indian Library Association, New Delhi. This centre has also provided visibility to the library staff in terms of awards like Vijay Shree Award, IFLA/ALP (International Federation of Library Associations) Fellowship, Karnataka Rajya Dr. B.R. Ambedkar Ratna Prashasti, Best Librarian award by Government of Karnataka.
- Â Effective and extensive use of ICTs in learning and teaching and achieve quality improvement in education, teaching and research.
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/initiative
- Resource crunch – non availability of funds for infrastructural developments to establish VLRC&DL and this was achieved based on the proposal sent to UGC New Delhi for building Learning Resource Lab and accordingly sanctioned Rs. 1.00 crore for building under universities established in backward region.
- Â Essential State-of-the-Art systems and technology required for the virtual learning resource centre and digital library and this was achieved by generous support of Rs 1.00 crores from Infosys Foundation, Bangalore based on our proposal sent to Dr. Sudha Murthy Infosys Foundation, Bangalore. Required State-of-the-Art systems and technology were supplied by Infosys foundation.
- Problem of ideal furniture for the VLRC & DL to meet the standards and expectations of Infosys Foundation for which Library budget earmarked for CDROM Databases of Rs. 50 lakh was diverted to meet the aesthetic furniture. Orders placed directly to Godrej and Boyce Mfg. Co., Mumbai.
- Technical expertise was resolved with the assistance of engineering and technical staff from Infosys Foundation, Bangalore and a system analyst was hired for proper maintenance and to provide services.
- The university located in Hyderabad Karnataka region, using the ICT facilities by the users was a real challenge and this was achieved by organizing various orientation, awareness, sensitization programs and workshops to promote, educate and train the users for optimal use of e-resources.
List the 5 points how can the programme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Â VLRC&DL and the training facilities and infrastructure has been unique and is a show window for others to emulate.
- Â Replicating Video-conferencing to arrange special lectures, placements/ interviewing etc., has enhanced academic activities and creativity among the students.
- Â Ask a Librarian, Remote access Service, UGC Infonet e-resources (10,000 e-journals) , WPL E-book collections (20 lakh e-books) and Document Delivery services through JCCC supports excellence in education, teaching and learning.
- Motivated the managements, peoples representatives to create ICT infrastructure with Government, public and philanthropist support.
- This VLRC&DL has stimulated for establishing â€œDigital language labâ€ for improving communication skills, language and English speaking and â€œMulti-Media Production Centreâ€ to produce multi-media products and improve communication skills including skills for public appearance in radio, television and self learning packages. This has also attracted print and electronic and Doordarshan India, Gulbarga produced a documentary the full profile of this lab in â€˜Chandanaâ€™ national channel on many slots.
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/initiative
- Management support from the university in terms of financial and administrative support is quite encouraging that signifies development and maintenance of the program.
- Â Userâ€™s feedback and survey conducted at every end of the course of the students community will imbibe to identify the scalability of the programme and improve thereupon.
- Â Application Softwareâ€™s in-built in Windows 2010 advance servers i.e. Active Directory Users & Computers and router softwareâ€™s provides the extent of utilization and enables us to take suitable measures to improve.
- Â Upgrading technology is a regular feature as we moved from Internet bandwidth from 2 mbps to 1 GBPS leased line; PCs to i7 core Intel processors.
- Â Team spirit and valued added inputs from the staff and collaboration with national networks like INFLIBNET, DELNET etc.
Documents publishing URL :