Registration Name : eINDIA2011/AN/295
Project Category : digitalLEARNING::Best ICT Enabled University of the Year
Project Name : Hindustan University Centre of Knowledge Initiative Program (HUCKIP)
Details of Applicant
Name : M Roberts Masillamani Sudalai Muthu T
Address : No â€“ 1, Rajeev Gandhi Salai (OMR)
City : Chennai
State : Tamilnadu
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 603103
Details of Project/Implementing Agency
Name of Organisation : Hindustan University
Address : No â€“ 1, ,Rajeev Gandhi Salai (OMR) ,
City : Chennai
State : Tamilnadu
Country : INDIA
Zip Code : 603103
Name of the head of Organisation : Mr.Ashok Verghese, Director
Website : www.hindustanuniv.ac.in
Brief description of the programme/project/Initiative :
In todayâ€™s fast paced world, itâ€™s become vital to offer students more options for learning their courses. Unfortunately we could not have all the subject experts at one place, but Through ICT we can have all the experts lecturers at all the places. Hindustan University starts a centre is called Centre of Knowledge (CoK) under the project â€œHindustan University Centre of Knowledge Initiative Programâ€ (HUCKIP). Through which the courses has been shared by more than one university expert, hence the students can have expert knowledge at one place. This initiative allows the students to learn easily, effectively, economically.
Why was the project started :
To provide expert knowledge at all place – To reduce the overheads such as time, resource, space, cost.
The main objective of this project is providing direct assistance to the out of reach learners in an efficient way.
Target group : Across the Globe
Geographical reach : Throughout Globe.
Date from which the project became operational : 7 December 2007
Is the Project still operational : YES
10 points that make the programme/project innovative?
- Â Expand access to Education â€“ Any time Anywhere – Access to remote learning resources – One defining feature of ICTs is their ability to transcend time and space. Teachers and learners no longer have to rely solely on printed books and other materials in physical media housed in libraries (and available in limited quantities) for their educational needs. Hindustan University provides digital library with extensive online subscriptions available with browsing facility by 24 X 7 X 365. The Computing facility includes total 2000 high end comps & servers. All the staff are equipped with laptops with WiFi.
- Motivating to learn – Videos, television and multimedia computer software that combine text, sound, and colorful, moving images can be used to provide challenging and authentic content that will engage the student in the learning process. Interactive radio likewise makes use of sound effects, songs, dramatizations, comic skits, and other performance conventions to compel the students. Latest licensed software on campus, campus wide agreement with leading Software companies, like, Microsoft, Oracle , SAP Etc inculcate software learning processes.
- Facilitating the acquisition of basic skills. The transmission of basic skills and concepts that are the foundation of higher order thinking skills and creativity can be facilitated by ICTs through drill and practice. Hindustan University provides intelligent & ergonomically designed labs for the students. These are Interactive classroom teaching tools & aides – smart rooms & lecture theatres stream in webinars / digital forums.
- Enhancing teacher training – ICTs have also been used to improve access to and the quality of teacher training. For example, advantage of the Internet to provide better teacher professional development opportunities.
- Broadcasting in education – Direct classroom teaching can be broadcasted to other colleges as a substitute for teachers periodically; – School broadcasting-where broadcast programming provides complementary teaching and learning resources not otherwise available; and – General educational programming over community – National and international stations which provide general and informal educational opportunities. – students communication / notes are through internet. – National / international lectures delivered through webcasts.
- Value added certification program – in collaboration with CISCO, Oracle University, SAP, KPMG, CADAM technologies, Manya Foundations.
- Paperless Communications â€“ all communication in the campus is through mails, blogs, websites, mailing groups. faculty / student feedback systems online
- Revising the technical knowledge for career development of the students â€“ Placement training programs online. software training facility in respective departments with various reputed companies such as a. Oracle workforce development program b. Wipro, Infosys faculty-student training/mentoring programs c. SAP programs d. CAD / CAM training e. Facade engineering programs f. Multimedia training programs & many more
- Increasing the Reach to Industry â€“ ICT connectivity to the Industry – using Digital Live CRW – for upgrading the qualification while work, such as M. E in Computer and Communication. Providing Digital CRWs at the Industry & University
- Exposure to Industrial experience through Industrial personnel â€“ By the collaboration with ICT Digital Live CRW by Delphi, CSS.
List the 5 achievements of the programme/project?
- Provide more opportunity to learn â€“ By the agreements with experts.
- Increased exposure to the developments in the Industry for the staff and students
- Reduction in overheads, like, cost, space, time and resources
- Better skilled students are produced
- Up gradation of the industrial personnel
List the 5 key challenges faced while implementing the programme/project/iniative
- Acceptability of the concept by the management – display of better standards in the students
- Implementation of technology – demonstrating the use of ICT and CRW
- Students cooperation – forcing and realizing the result â€“ confirmed placement
- Availability of industrial personnel â€“ by explaining and convincing through the methodology
- Budget for implementation â€“ strongly emphasizing mandatory requirements
List the 5 points how can the prgramme serve as a model that can be replicated or adapted by others?
- Industrial collaboration norms and methodology.
- Pre Industrial training programme and list of industries offering them.
- Various faculty and staff development workshops addressed.
- List of challenges encountered and the problems solved.
- Embedding the cost and allocating funds for the project
List 5 points to elaborate on the scalability of the programme/project/iniative
- Identifying the similar industries.
- Creating a panel of skill delivery resources.
- Identifying the bottlenecks and reducing the overheads.
- Universities clusters and industrial clusters can be formed for sharing resource
- Academia-industry interaction cloud may be formed and utilized
Documents publishing URL : http://www.scribd.com/doc/72239576